Show Your BDUs

alconlon

Here's an interesting one I found in Germany.

This Captain, assigned to the 173RD ABCT, appears to have a 82ND ENG BN BOS.

Given the fact that both the 173RD STB and the 82ND ENG BN were stationed in Germany at some point I wonder if this CPT transferred from the 82ND ENG to the 173RD and just kept the old numbered BOS. Could it be common practice?

82d EN is historically a 1ID unit, which synchs with the 1ID combat patch on this BDU. See these links, but the short version is the 82d EN deployed to OIF with 1ID prior to 2006.

http://www.army.mil/article/137064/_Dagger__brigade_deactivates_BSTB__reactivates_82nd_Engineer_Battalion/

http://www.82ndengineers.org/

To your question about common practice to keep the old numbered BOS...the answer is NO. However, it happened. Technically, once an officer affiliated with a regiment, s/he was supposed to wear that regimental brass (unless in a special assignment, such as IG or General Staff). However, this was NOT common because many commanders saw it as a loyalty issue ("You're in the X EN BN, but wearing 82 EN brass? Why aren't you loyal to your unit, CPT?") and quoting the uniform reg wasn't well received (b/c typically, at that point, you were pointing out that your boss was wrong). I wore regimental BOS insignia, and enjoyed the jousting which it created, but that was NOT typical.

Steve

• 1 month later...
PriorityOne

A few more interesting ones I have got recently.

Not woodland but i thought I would add it here. Any body have info on the scroll?

post-153263-0-24632000-1432556732.jpg

PriorityOne

Any idea where this patch was made, and sorry for my ignorance, I am not good at IDing patches, what unit is this?

post-153263-0-82019500-1432556915.jpg

Great pieces Priority! I had the tab on the RDF ID'd but forgot it, I'll look around some and inform you if I find it. Isn't the patch on the last BDU USARV (US Army Vietnam)?

PriorityOne

The patch makes sense, being an early BDU. Most likely took the patch off one of his jungle jackets he used in vietnam. Thanks for the ID!

This I could use some help with as I found this BDU at Goodwill. I replaced the subdued pin on rank insignia and Trident. The left pocket patch had also been removed. The stitching and shadow indicated a vertical oval patch. The only thing I could think of was a SOCOM patch but they usually have an airborne tab on top and there was no stitching or shadow indicating that any tab was above the oval patch. Also I thought it was redundant to have a SOCOM patch here since there was a SOCOM Europe SSI on the left shoulder. So I actually found an email address for this former Captain who is or was a professor at the Naval Post Graduate School which is in the adjoining county where I found this uniform. So I emailed him to asked him what patch used to be there and that I was a collector and had found his uniform at Goodwill. I never receive a response back so I guessed that a SOCOM patch was on the left pocket at one time. The only other oval patch that I could think of was a Naval Law Enforcement type patch but it didn't seem to fit this uniform. Any ideas?

post-1389-0-91014300-1432577664.jpg

Are you sure the trident was ever there?

I'm pretty sure due to the number of groupings of three triangular pattern holes above the left pocket. The only large insignia that would leave these holes is a Trident by taking it on and off between laundering. In addition the name matched a Navy Seal Officer who at the time resided in the same area where the uniform was found because the particular Goodwill organization covers two or three adjoining counties.

BDU_Burger_Lover

The left pocket patch had also been removed. The stitching and shadow indicated a vertical oval patch. The only thing I could think of was a SOCOM patch but they usually have an airborne tab on top and there was no stitching or shadow indicating that any tab was above the oval patch. Also I thought it was redundant to have a SOCOM patch here since there was a SOCOM Europe SSI on the left shoulder.

That's a very interesting piece. Have you seen this topic already? It features a Navy BDU with a SOCOM patch (with tab) on its left pocket.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/132184-bdus-1-is-an-army-submariner-1-is-a-navy-airborne-troop/

Maybe there was no Airborne tab on top of the SOCOM patch on your jacket because of the Airborne tab already sewn on top of the SOCOM Europe patch?

I have seen several Air Force BDU's with Army patches on their left sleeve on this forum but this is the first time I see a Navy BDU with an Army patch on its sleeve.

Priority One,

The scroll is an unofficial morale patch used by the 111th Infantry from the 70's-90's I sent you a message with more details.

FLashesandOvals,

I sent some basic info on the use of the scroll and time period associated with it. I posted some more detailed info and copies of the actual orders in the thread "Penna National Guard Scroll Question" I for some reason can't get it to link, but you should be able to find it through search or on my "activity".

Martinjmpr

SFC BRETT MITCHELL, A/1/75TH RANGER 1993

attachicon.gifUNC022.jpg

Nice! The Mustard Stain (combat jump star) makes that a rare uniform. The star could be from either Grenada or Panama but my guess is that his star is from Panama in 1989 because of the "new scroll" patch on his right sleeve.

Certainly he could have jumped at Grenada in 1983 but from what I saw, those who were in during Grenada proudly wore their "old style" scrolls rather than the new one.

aussie digger

Great uniforms here. I only just noticed this one, I have another of his BDUs and his DCU top.

This isn't TACP per se, but rather an officer with the "air request net" which manages air support, at the corps level. Note XVIII Airborne patch, and master parachutist wings.

• 2 weeks later...
BDU_Burger_Lover

Here are some of my BDU's:

post-158610-0-75735900-1433930300.jpg

I made a separate thread for this one (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/240935-help-id-combat-medic-ranger-173rd-airborne-sergeant-major-bdu/) in hopes of ID'ing its original owner. Health Services Command SSI with Ranger tab, 173rd Abn Bde SSI-FWTS (I think from Vietnam), Sergeant Major rank insignia, Combat Medical Badge, EIB, Senior Parachutist Wings. Hot weather coat from, I think, the late 80s (label is almost impossible to read).

BDU_Burger_Lover

post-158610-0-39009600-1433930799.jpg

Here are two BDU tops from the same officer. The one on the left is 100% cotton and dated 1993, the other 50-50 cotton-nylon and dated 2000. Both have the collar insignia for Colonel and Army Aviation Corps, Senior Aviator Wings, and Air Assault Badge. The SSI is for the III Corps stationed at Fort Hood, Texas.

BDU_Burger_Lover

post-158610-0-16401800-1433931105.jpg

50-50 cotton/nylon dated 2000. Captain and Signal Corps branch insignia, 10th Mountain Division SSI and SSI-FWTS, Ranger tab and basic Parachutist Wings. Named.