Patches In Action, Part 2: Images Of SSI Used Other Than On Uniforms

seanmc1114

439th Signal Battalion

Insignia for the 64th Fighter Wing, XII Tactical Air Command (9th and 12th Army Air Forces), which supplied tactical air support for all the units seen below. My grandfather was a lineman and crew leader in Company B of the 439th Signal Battalion, which constructed and maintained the communications between the 64th Fighter Wing and several of the ground units depicted on the poster below (mainly the 45th Infantry Division).

post-4009-0-68913900-1440899706.jpg

Does this count? A 16th Armored Division cake

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Sure a few patches on cakes have been posted.

Now we got to find a patch on a cupcake, a round one like the 89th Div, which would be perfect with it's Black Rolling W motif on a brown chocolate background :P :lol:

• 1 month later...

Firebase sign in Vietnam for Company C 2nd Battalion 16th Infantry with both the 1st Infantry Division and 2nd Infantry Brigade SSI's

post-1761-0-51432200-1444485281.jpg

doinworkinvans

Now - that is pretty interesting! Huge fan of the 10th AF and the Pacific groups. I would have figured that would've been phased out long before '51....did that Continental patch stay alive a lot longer? Is that "technically" a post-war patch?

Now - that is pretty interesting! Huge fan of the 10th AF and the Pacific groups. I would have figured that would've been phased out long before '51....did that Continental patch stay alive a lot longer? Is that "technically" a post-war patch?

My grandmother worked at Robins Air Force Base, Georgia in the 50's and they were a depot of the 14th Air Force. I think somewhere I have some old mimeographs or letterhead of hers that show the old 14th Flying Tigers patch.

Continental Air Command? Don't know how long in it's original shoulder patch form, but it crops up again down the line a your standard/typical pocket patch.

post-34986-0-86223700-1444928989.gif

On the continued wear of shoulder patches in the new USAF, are you familiar with this topic? loads of photos with AF personnel wearing shoulder patches well into the 50s are seen.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5846-post-wwii-50s-60s-us-air-force-uniform-photos/

• 4 weeks later...

post-34986-0-72183900-1447298291.jpg

ARADCOM patch on some kind of Canine Training thingamajig, think this was taken at Bliss in 1964, as one guy wears the new soft cap, while ones wearing the Ridgeway cap

Salvage Sailor

Part of a locally made desk set for the CO

US NAVAL MAGAZINE Subic Bay, Philippines

Painted on Philippine mahogany

014.jpg

Cake with the SSI of the 48th Armored Division being presented to the division commander, Major General Maxwell C. Snyder

Beat you to it Sean, see post #68 :lol:

Found this item, a record, from 1965 that shows the shoulder patches of all of major components U.S. Army Europe, haven't the slightest idea of what on this record, maybe a combination of sounds from some Grafenwöhr Maneuvers, Sousa Marches, German Army March Music with Full Chorus......and The Beatles :lol:

post-34986-0-41100600-1447908326.jpgpost-34986-0-25135800-1447908509.jpg