Patches In Action, Part 2: Images Of SSI Used Other Than On Uniforms

seanmc1114

What's that odd colored Screaming Eagles patch there on the wall with the rest of them?

101st Sustainment Brigade

Thank You, here's the subdued version, see how it incoporates the traditional TAC marks of the Infantry of the division.

post-34986-0-72199100-1512666032_thumb.jpg

Although worn and shown at various times with an Airborne tab, the tab was never authorized to be worn with the patch.

Although worn and shown at various times with an Airborne tab, the tab was never authorized to be worn with the patch.

I also now notice that this patch has a curved top, not like the familiar 101 patch.

ocp-101st-sustainment-brigade-army-patch

On the tab, was this when the patch first came out? Because I found this photo of it's Flag, and it has the AIRBORNE tab, plus there's the signage on the wall with tab.

post-34986-0-58270600-1512696380.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

dMeTR3w.jpg

48th Armored Division on a cake, 1960

We posted that one already twice.Once by seanmc1114 and then me, I goofed and posted it again :lol: Remember check in the upper right top search box with keywords to see if the photo you want to post hasn't been done :D

mysteriousoozlefinch

We posted that one already twice.Once by seanmc1114 and then me, I goofed and posted it again :lol: Remember check in the upper right top search box with keywords to see if the photo you want to post hasn't been done :D

Ha! My bad, Patches. Then the last SSI post I did is probably a repost too.

• 2 months later...
mysteriousoozlefinch

Hopefully this isn't a prior post. 39th ID SSI from McNeese State University archives.

0CSoVgh.png?1

"Sergeant Floyd Roberts, Hdqs. and Hdqs. Co., 3rd Battalion, 156th Infantry"

Hopefully this isn't a prior post. 39th ID SSI from McNeese State University archives.

0CSoVgh.png?1

"Sergeant Floyd Roberts, Hdqs. and Hdqs. Co., 3rd Battalion, 156th Infantry"

No it's a first time posting, and a great one it is at that, but generally these go in the Marked Liner topic up in Helmets. While it doesn't state it up front in the 1st post, the trend here in this topic basically established itself on the posting of photos of patches on signage, unit documents, stationary, etc etc, post/base walls and barracks walls and doors, vehicles etc etc.

That reminds me, got a photo of marked liners from Alaska that I need to post up there.

notinfringed

This was in an album I acquired recently. Ladd Field gate sign in the early 50s. One of the funnier looking polar bear patch depictions I have seen. He looks like he needs some PT.

post-2011-0-23150600-1524243908.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I posted these photos a very long time ago, but they fit in this topic nicely.

6th Army's 11th Replacement Depot in Okazaki, Japan.

post-3661-0-42450000-1527527662_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

post-34986-0-56221200-1528513041_thumb.jpg

Now here has to be among the earliest depiction of a divisional shoulder patch on a sports vest. 90th Division, probbly an applique application of some unknown red cloth, Taken in Germany when the T&O Division was on occupation duty. This fella here puts on a picklehaube as a goof as well.

• 2 weeks later...

post-34986-0-21944700-1529208500_thumb.jpg

The 7th Armored Division Band Camp Roberts Calif 1953, just love those bass drums with the divisional shoulder patch on them. 7th Armd Div was a training division at this time.

• 2 weeks later...
mysteriousoozlefinch

psnKIzY.jpg

2nd Army patch on the right, 306th Cavalry on the left of the helmet. By 1955 when this photo was taken at Camp Polk, the 306th was the 306th Armored Cavalry Group, an Organized Reserve unit out of Maryland and DC.

post-34986-0-99667000-1530667679.jpg

The Blanket Patch nicely carved into a tree by member or members of Co A 2/12 Cav, 1st Cav Div during Delaware, A Shau Valley May 1968.