WWII 1943 Springfield 1903A3

anton67

Here I have a Remington 1903A3 Springfield manufactured in October 1943.
It is in all original condition.
To me it looks like it was fired very little, if at all.
It is in exceptional condition.
I was told it spent its life at Willow Grove, PA Air Base and was basically stored away until it was sold off after the war.
Let me know what you think.

Also what do these things go for now days?

Thank you in advance.

post-63438-0-20491100-1408478284.jpg

Wow, stunning! Looks like she spent her life laying in a pile of goose - down pillows while being breastfed by an angel.

That's a pretty nice piece. I would get an appraisal on it by someone who knows military rifles and their worth. I can find them around here in the $400 to $600 range but not in that condition.

Wow, stunning! Looks like she spent her life laying in a pile of goose - down pillows while being breastfed by an angel.

I dont think they have that kind of stuff at the Naval Base. :lol:

coolhandluke

Would go for 1000-1200. How does the barrel gauge, Provide pics of cutout.

Maybe if this was a Smith-Corona in similar condition. I wouldn't expect it to sell for more than $900-$950 tops if listed on the CMP forums or Gunbroker. Not trying to take anything away from this piece...it is an absolutely gorgeous example of a likely original rifle. I love the contrast of Remington blued parts on the parkerized barreled receiver.

Very nice '03

As for value people "ask" what ever they want.Two weeks ago I saw a typical Remington 03a3 priced at $1500.It didnt sell.Also a frosty mint Smith Corona 03a3 at $800 and it didnt sell either.

coolhandluke

Very nice '03

As for value people "ask" what ever they want.Two weeks ago I saw a typical Remington 03a3 priced at $1500.It didnt sell.Also a frosty mint Smith Corona 03a3 at $800 and it didnt sell either.

Ron,

You hit the nail on the head. Someone can place whatever value they want on a piece, but it doesn't guarantee that it will sell anywhere close to that price. I see a lot of 03A3's for sale that aren't moving.

If the parts are all inspected and the rifle is a 100% correct piece, it is collector grade quality. There are a lot of excellent condition 1903A3's out there as they didn't see a ton of use. This rifle is still nicer than 98% of the Remingtons that I have seen. That being said, it isn't an unissued, mint rifle and no issued 1903A3 is worth over $1200 regardless of the correctness and condition. If this rifle was a mint, unissued piece with provenance I have no issues with the $1200 or even $1500 value.

That's a beauty for sure, and one to be proud of. Hard to upgrade this one by any measure.

I had a Smith Corona in this shape or better way back when (1997), I think I paid $450 for it then (that was top dollar in those days...)

Also had a Remington 03-A4 that was flat brand new, the best example I've ever seen and one of the best long guns I ever had in my collection. Miss that one REALLY bad...!!

I purchased one in (nearly) the same condition about a year ago at an estate auction about an hour NE of Lancaster, PA. I paid $875 for it & felt that was fair. The auction was well advertisd & brought a lot of bidders. Every city/state is different, but I would say 900-1000, with the stock being as nice as it is.

Very nice rifle! It's a keeper for sure!!

I can't tell by your pictures but does your rifle stock have an "OG" or "OGEK" stamp on the left side just below the comb? This is an Ogden Arsenal rebuild stamp that the vast majority of 03A3s received at the end of the war. If your rifle does NOT have the stamp, then you may have one of the rare non-rebuilt rifles. This will definitely increase the value.