1943 Harley Davidson

hardheaded

Wow, thanks for the flashback. I started scrolling through the photos and the Armor Forces School (AFS) markings on the front fender stood out to me. Then lots of other details on the bike. Then I noticed it was from the Tony Harrah collection.

That's the WLA my friend Bob Harris built back in the 1970s and I hadn't seen for 30+ years. I can't remember if he started with a rolling, civilianized bike, or a bare NOS frame. But virtually all the unique military parts were found piece by piece back when they were still available in small Harley shops all over the country. Of note are the original tread Firestone Sportsman tires which are quite scarce today in good condition. Bob found them NOS in a small H-D shop in St. Johns, Oregon, just down the road from me, and I remember how excited he was to find them.

Nice to see it has survived in good shape all these years, and probably doesn't dribble much more now than when he assembled it. Thanks again for the photos.

The Wright Museum has 4 Harleys, about which I know virtually nothing, but I present for your enjoyment. I believe there are a "U", "UA" and 2 "WLA" models, if I remember the signs correctly.Unfortunately none of them run.

post-133376-0-08953800-1408705908.jpg