WWII AAF Heated Canteen Cover!

liveww2

I came across this recently. It looks like it was an electrically heated canteen cover made from flight boot inserts. The inside of the cover has the makers tag and two button leads to plug in with. Almost certainly this was made for a bomber crew member. The lift the dot snaps are a little smaller than standard. The bail appears to be from a standard 1910 cover. Just wondering if anyone else ever ran into something like this?post-105746-0-22408300-1408386402.jpgpost-105746-0-88429200-1408386458.jpg

doinworkinvans

Now that is cool - def hand made by a crewman. In books about crews there are stories of them making up things in the shops. This is for sure one of those items! Great piece of history!

Daniel

That's a pretty unique item. In all my years of collecting USAAF stuff I've never seen or heard of such an item. I think it's great!

Yes, the buttons are on the inside of the cover. Though the canteen fits nicely, the cover is a bit too small to accept a cup, which there really is no reason to have one in the first place.

RustyCanteen

That is a unique piece! Like many, something I have never seen; but a very interesting idea. It looks like it had a cup with it at one time, is there room for one?

Thanks for sharing it.

RC

That is very interesting. I have a cover in my collection made from the flak vest cover. Has the tag like this one still present and the off white corduroy material that is present inside the flak vests. Thanks for sharing. Yours seems to be more purposeful, as it keeps water from freezing, but it is hard to imagine canteen covers were so scarce that the AAF had to make their own. Kevin