Flight helmet- looks like a B-5. Is it?

mmerc20

What is this flight helmet? It looks similar to a B-5 but I'm not sure. The B-5 doesn't have the snaps in the front unless that was a add-on for a mask or something.

Any help?

Mike

post-3373-0-24943100-1408378610.jpg

pararaftanr2

Mike,

I believe that you have a modified A.A.C. B-4 winter helmet. It appears to me that the chin strap and backing material on the wearer's right side has been removed / shortened and replace with the chin strap from a B-6 helmet. Also, snaps for an A-14 oxygen mask have been added. The leather ear cups are the Army, not Navy style. The three (?) small male snaps on the lower rear would be for securing the harness for the headphones I believe. See page 168 of Prodger's book for a photo of an un-modified example.

Regards, Paul

Good call Paul.

Yep, the snaps at the bottom would have been little straps to secure the headset loom. I have a similar rig on a B5.

pararaftanr2

I stand corrected, now that all the detailed photos are up on the ebay listing. It looks like it has a B-5 chin cup (not a B-6 chin strap) that has been wrapped in fleece. Also, it must have been fitted for an A-10R mask at one point, based on the wire hook on the wearer's right side. A very interesting and unique specimen indeed.