101ST AIRBORNE DIVISION BLUE AIR ASSAULT BERET 1973-1978

flashesandovals

flashesandovals

I have been reading quite a few topics about the wear of the blue AIR ASSAULT beret and the associated flashes on the forum in the past two years or so.

After noticing that there doesn't seem to bee too much accurate information on the subject, I thought I would share my knowledge.

When the 101ST AIRBORNE DIVISION deployed to Europe in for REFORGER '76 I was attending primary school in a Belgian Army Barracks in Germany.

Parts of the Division were hosted by my father's unit, the 4TH Belgian Army Cavalry Regiment in Arnsberg, Germany.

In September I had a chance to meet with the soldiers during our lunch breaks and that's when my interest for collecting US Army items started.

The troops gave us (kids) all sorts of stuff; badges, hats, berets, shirts and lots of C-Ration candy.

One day my dad came home with a field jacket, a blue beret and a bag of patches he had traded. I lost the beret eventually while "playing Army".

What I do remember, is that it had a distinct sound of cracking plastic. In fact, when I acquired another one years later, I understood that the Denmark's beret liners had plastic foil in them.

Ever since, I have been collecting and researching US Army items and I still do a little bit today.

First I'd like to share an ASMIC TRADING POST article written by Les FOUTS in 1977. It clearly describes the wear of flashes and berets on Ft Campbell at the time.

It is my understanding that the berets (and flashes) were worn between 1973-1978.

After that I will post my collection of insignia that dates back to that period of time.

Pascal

post-9154-0-76209800-1408348474.jpg

Note that they are all wearing color 101 patches on their fatigues and field jackets. I believe they continued this practice until the BDU's came out in 1982. (At which point they switched over to the subdued 101 patch)

Very nice display and collection of 101st items.

I was assigned to 3/187 Inf in 1984 and the surplus shop across from main gate # 4 was called Bricks. It still had a lot of the blue berets. I picked one up and I still have it with my 187th collection..

Leigh

flashesandovals

Very nice display and collection of 101st items.

I was assigned to 3/187 Inf in 1984 and the surplus shop across from main gate # 4 was called Bricks. It still had a lot of the blue berets. I picked one up and I still have it with my 187th collection..

Leigh

Thanks Lee!

You may be able to confirm that the 3/187th ovals (and1/506th) did not have the Battalion "ticks" before the 80's...

Pascal

Thanks Lee!

You may be able to confirm that the 3/187th ovals (and1/506th) did not have the Battalion "ticks" before the 80's...

Pascal

I will look into it Pascal

Leigh

Great thread and very informative.

I visited Bricks in 1979.Wish I had picked up a beret or two then.They also had a fantastic patch board in the sew shop area.Between Bricks and the other pawn shops there were racks of 101st uniforms w ithe the velvet eagle patches. I heard Bricks burnt to the ground a few years ago.

Great thread and very informative.

I visited Bricks in 1979.Wish I had picked up a beret or two then.They also had a fantastic patch board in the sew shop area.Between Bricks and the other pawn shops there were racks of 101st uniforms w ithe the velvet eagle patches. I heard Bricks burnt to the ground a few years ago.

Doyler,

Bricks did burn to the ground. It was back in July 1987. I had already left for Germany in December 1986 and stopped in one final time with my parents who drove down to pick me up and take me home for PCS leave. From what I remember it was a huge fire, could see it for miles. The fire department had to ask for asistance from Ft Campbell, fired Department. It was a terrible loss. I loved going in there. Uniforms on racks, helmets, gear, all kinds of neat stuff from the 101st.. Wish I was an avid collector back then...

It was called "Brick's Men's Store" and it was owned by Brigadier General William H Birdsong, Jr. We all knew it just as "Bricks"...

They put a US Cavalry store on the site, becasue the closest one back in the day was down at Ft Knox. Not sure if they stayed open or not.. Had not been back to Campbell, since I left in December 1986...

Leigh