101ST AIRBORNE DIVISION BLUE AIR ASSAULT BERET 1973-1978

flashesandovals

I am still looking into the beret flash question regarding the battalion "tick marks", and when they started to use them. Just FYI, the beret that I bought at Bricks in 1984 had the 3rd battalion tick marks on them..

Leigh

flashesandovals

I am still looking into the beret flash question regarding the battalion "tick marks", and when they started to use them. Just FYI, the beret that I bought at Bricks in 1984 had the 3rd battalion tick marks on them..

Leigh

That is correct, the flash had ticks. However, the question is about the oval. Apparently that particular unit, 3/187 used an oval without ticks...

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Yes-really old thread but sometimes it works...

Picked up this group of 6 berets and 3 flashes.

I was wondering if these are period pieces relating to this thread.

Thank you all in advance for any and all input.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

9 hours ago, Boy Howdy said:

Here is a picture I found online. Notice the Air Assault wings to the right of the flash?

kvd76yih9t8z.jpg

Great photo, these are Enginners of the 326th Engineer Battalion, one of whom is a Vietnam Vet of the 18th Engineer Brigade

Uju.jpg

Berets look good from here, and the Flashes too, all for the 101 and all Flat Edge, 2nd Squadron 17th Cavalry, 2nd Battalion 502nd Infantry, and the 1st Battalion 3rd Air Defense Artillery.

image.png.c583330222bb07957f160c9a550ee4fd.png

14 hours ago, Boy Howdy said:

Here is a picture I found online. Notice the Air Assault wings to the right of the flash?

kvd76yih9t8z.jpg

This photo was taken at a company level change of command ceremony in the 326th Engineer Battalion. The officer on the right was my room mate for about a year at Fort Campbell at that time.

6 hours ago, patches said:

Berets look good from here, and the Flashes too, all for the 101 and all Flat Edge, 2nd Squadron 17th Cavalry, 2nd Battalion 502nd Infantry, and the 1st Battalion 3rd Air Defense Artillery.

image.png.c583330222bb07957f160c9a550ee4fd.png

That's good to hear Patches. They weren't cheap but now I know they are well worth the cost.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, bertmedals said:

This photo was taken at a company level change of command ceremony in the 326th Engineer Battalion. The officer on the right was my room mate for about a year at Fort Campbell at that time.

Small world,eh?

5 hours ago, Boy Howdy said:

That's good to hear Patches. They weren't cheap but now I know they are well worth the cost.

Thanks!

Yes that's a great haul there we would all say, unissued, or more correctly since these were usually bought at the local PXs.......Unsold and bagged. I don't think we seen that before in the big Berets topic, 70s Berets new and in the bag still and with tags.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 10/26/2020 at 11:43 PM, Boy Howdy said:

Yes-really old thread but sometimes it works...

Picked up this group of 6 berets and 3 flashes.

I was wondering if these are period pieces relating to this thread.

Thank you all in advance for any and all input.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

I will be putting these berets and flashed up for sale on this forums For Sale section.

On 7/26/2021 at 5:49 PM, Boy Howdy said:

I will be putting these berets and flashed up for sale on this forums For Sale section.

I can speak to the beret flashes and yes, they are period correct for the 101st Airborne Division in the 1970s.  From left to right:

• 101st Airborne Division, 2nd Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment

162px-Former_US_Army_2nd_Squadran-17th_Cavalry_Regiment_Beret_Flash.svg.png

• 101st Airborne Division, 1st Brigade, 2nd Battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment

162px-Former_US_Army_502nd_Infantry_Regiment-2nd_Battalion_Beret_Flash.svg.png

• 101st Airborne Division, 1st Battalion, 3rd Air Defense Artillery Regiment

162px-Former_US_Army_1st_Battalion-3rd_Air_Defense_Artillery_Beret_Flash.svg.png

• 9 months later...
seanmc1114

I posted this photo in another topic on the various berets worn by the Army. Black or blue beret with unknown flash and DUI worn by aviation personnel at Fort Campbell, Kentucky in 1974. Note they are wearing the Forces Command SSI. I can't identify the flash or DUI from the tables posted previously under this topic.

Beret.Black.FORSCOM.Fort Campbell.1974.jpg

On 5/23/2022 at 10:22 AM, seanmc1114 said:

I posted this photo in another topic on the various berets worn by the Army. Black or blue beret with unknown flash and DUI worn by aviation personnel at Fort Campbell, Kentucky in 1974. Note they are wearing the Forces Command SSI. I can't identify the flash or DUI from the tables posted previously under this topic.

Beret.Black.FORSCOM.Fort Campbell.1974.jpg

Looks like he is wearing the U.S. Army Forces Command (FORSCOM) Distinctive Unit Insignia on his flash, which looks like the 101st Airborne Division Support Command (DISCOM) Beret Flash. According to "U.S. Army Patches, Flashes, and Ovals: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Cloth Unit Insignia," the 101st DISCOM flash was also worn by other units that did not have a beret flash. However, FORSCOM did have their own beret and flash in the 70s. Does anyone know when FORSCOM started wearing their own beret and flash in the 1970s? Maybe the 101st started wearing the dark-blue beret before FORSCOM had its own, thus units like this would wear the 101st beret and DISCOM flash, maybe...

• 6 months later...

Better late than never. I recently saw this thread, and have been looking to replace my berry stolen some years ago. I served with the 1/503 inf, 101 Ann from 78 to 81. Does anyone know where I may be able to purchase an Air Assault beret? I know they are certainly getting scarce