5th Marine Division Uniform

BigDogMilitaria

• 5 months later...
BigDogMilitaria

Thanks! That was really an unexpected find. Usually when a sale advertises "Military" with no pictures, its a bunch of 80's camo, lol

What a terrific grouping. Perhaps you can get to visit with him like Connor mentioned he did in his thread on Walters' HBT shirt.

Are any of your shirts UNIS marked, like the one that was sold online?

BigDogMilitaria

No, mine arent marked UNIS. They were digging stuff out of the house for a few weeks and had 3 parts to the sale. I went to part 1 and 2, and they told me that i got all the militaria. One of them has some good use, and the USMC stencil on the front and i suspect he wore that one. The other two im not sure. They must have found a couple more! I have speculated they were in the garage. He was a mechanic and had a lot of stuff in the garage. Bad thing was, this was right after a big flood in the area anf there was a couple of inches of water in the garage and no power or lights, so i didnt venture in there!

Great photo and uniform. I can never believe how thin everyone was. I don't think I have a photo of the owner of any of the few named items I have (well one or 2 if you count my dad). I'm also a big fan of those Type 99's. As a kid I had a friend up the street whose dad was a Marine in the Pacific (my dad was with the 32nd Infantry Div. in the Pacific). He had an Type 99 in the attic which I thought was about the neatest thing ever.

Bummer you missed out on the last part of the sale, but I'd say you still got most of the cream of the crop. Looking at the ones you didn't get, I think you're spot on with the garage theory -- they definitely look like they've seen some time underneath a few cars over the years.

And as the listing pictures will be gone before long, for posterity's sake, here's a photo of the UNIS marked shirt from the seller's eBay listing:

post-112103-0-80282500-1423452416.jpg

ViewfinderGyrene

Bummer you missed out on the last part of the sale, but I'd say you still got most of the cream of the crop. Looking at the ones you didn't get, I think you're spot on with the garage theory -- they definitely look like they've seen some time underneath a few cars over the years.

And as the listing pictures will be gone before long, for posterity's sake, here's a photo of the UNIS marked shirt from the seller's eBay listing:

attachicon.gif2824-2.JPG

Oh heck, I just connected the dots when they said it sold online, I was watching that one :P

BigDogMilitaria

Yeh. i am aware of who the seller is. He usually buys vintage clothes but will dabble in Militaria when he thinks its worth something. He is all over the place, but i did not see him either time I went and I was first in the door. Im glad Connor was able to get one of the HBTs he had.

BigDogMilitaria

Its possible. The basement was trashed too. The HBTs were scattered throughout the house. I found one hanging up in the basement. One in a second floor closet, and the other one laying on the living room floor near the Japanese sword belt I found. I think the guys setting it up were not prepared for a house like that, and having no power didnt help! Well, it might have helped me since noone showed up at the opening!

BigDogMilitaria

Great group . is the uniform named ?

Nick

Yep, its in the sleeve.

Wow, I have always wanted to find a group like this. If I keep searching, it might happen some day. Great Work!!!

Thanks. I have always read on here that stuff is out there, you just have to put the work in to find it. I hit a lot of dead ends, but when it pays off, there is nothing more satisfying in this hobby.

• 2 weeks later...
BigDogMilitaria

Some more follow up on this find. One of the local news channels here in Detroit did a story on Corporal Walters. The son of one of the other men in the Rosenthal photo traveled to Michigan to meet him and talk about his Father. Its a nice little story if you have time to watch it. On a side note, some member of Corporal Walters photo have found the Facebook page I have for my collection. They seem genuinely happy to know where the uniforms ended up.

enjoy!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/photo-from-iwo-jima-leads-to-remarkable-meeting/31395220