5th Marine Division Uniform

BigDogMilitaria

BigDogMilitaria

This was a totally unexpected surprise. I went to an estate sale that advertised "some military". Walked in and saw this beauty hanging off the back of a chair. I also picked up a couple of HBT shirts and a couple of flags he flew outside the house. My favorite is the black one i have pictured with the 5th on it. I also picked up a Japanese Navy ammo pouch and belt. Some things come and go, but this is a keeper for the collection! One thing that always bums me out is when i cant find a picture of the Vet. As luck would have it, on an internet search last night I came up with this great photo of him! Donald Walters, of Hazel Park, Mi is the one driving the motorcycle. The pic was taken in April '45 by Joe Rosenthal. Needless to say, I am getting a nice copy of this for the display!

post-52765-0-61995800-1408313880.jpg

BigDogMilitaria

Thanks fellas. I have to say, out of all things I have come across, this is the first time i have picked up a USMC combat Vets group. I have several others, but they all have one degree of separation between it being found and getting to me. I was very happy to find this.

BigDogMilitaria

Very nice find. Donald W. Walters served with the 28th marines 5th marine division.It should be interesting to get his service record.

Mark

Thankyou for that info! I will be getting his records for sure.

BigDogMilitaria

I found out Friday night that there was going to be a "Round 2" at this sale. Apparently they hadnt gone thru the attic the first time. Needless to say I had all sorts of things dancing around in my head about what they might find!

It was nothing to crazy, but im glad i was able to get it. There was a holster, a nice HBT shirt, HBT hat, a stack of Leatherneck magazines, a couple of trench lighters. I put some of the stuff together with a Japanese ammo pouch and sword belt in a display box to go with the uniforms.

post-52765-0-92004200-1408922195.jpg