Museum of Aviation, Warner Robins AFB, GA

gwb123

See: http://www.museumofaviation.org/

We've had a number of posts about the National Museum of the US Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio. Not mentioned as often is the second largest USAF musuem, the Museum of Aviation located outside of Warner Robins AFB in Georgia.

As it happens, my wife made a brief visit there this summer, and kindly brought these photos back.

This is only skimming the surface of the museum.... this was one of three hangers. There is also a very large outside display park. The website lists the full inventory of aircraft.

The Museum also seems to be very active with events and educational opportunities. This is what keeps a museum alive and an active member of the community as well as educating the next generation on the lore of flight.

AA 1.jpg

B1 bomber and A-10 greet the visitor coming in from the parking lot. Note the old school control tower in the background.

AA 3.jpg

AA 2.jpg

Suspended above... a rare TG-4A that flew in New Mexico during the war, and a 1943 Stearman PT-17 Kaydet making a slow turn.

FF 1.jpg

FF 2.jpg

FF 3.jpg

The center piece is a P-40N painted to represent Colonel Robert Scott's P-40E.

I believe I read somewhere that this was the P-40N that used to be part of a roadside display at Willow Grove NAS, PA. It was once a two seater training version, but has been converted back to a single seat configuration.

GG 2.jpg

GG 3.jpg

GG 4.jpg

GG 5.jpg

A number of uniform displays associated with the 14th AAF were available. The local clothing was worn by US pilots... the white linen one reportedly worn under the uniform for added warmth during the winter months.

Gg 20.jpg

gg 15.jpg

gg 17.jpg

gg 18.jpg

This was a bit of a surprise... uniforms and items belonging to Captain John Birch. Apparently he was quite the covert operative during WWII in China. He lost his life in an unfortunate confrontation with Communist troops immediately after the war... some view him as the first American casualty of the Cold War. His family remains in Georgia.

Note the .45 cal Liberator pistol in the lower left of the case.

GG 12.jpg

gg 13.jpg

gg 14.jpg

Closer to the modern era, an F-15. Warner Robins is primarily a logistics support base, and many of the exhibits explain that role in relation to the aircraft displayed. That includes showing the complex innards of the aircraft as well as various pieces of ground support equipment.

This is just a brief view of this very rich museum. I am hoping to get out there myself to see the rest of it.

If anyone else has photos, please feel free to post them! Thanks for looking.

CC 2.jpg

cc 3.jpg

cc 4.jpg

Is this air force base is south east corner of Georgia by Valdosta not sure if I spelled it wrong.

thanks for pictures.

No, this is more center to the state. Warner Robins is just south of Macon.

I haven't been to the museum recently but I have fond memories of visiting as a kid and going to air shows there.

Thanks for sharing the photos from your trip.

Not to take away from the Warner Robins museum but I also highly recommend the following three museums one of which is also in GA:

Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum, Savannah, GA.

Air Force Armament Museum, Eglin AFB, FL.

National Naval Aviation Museum, Pensacola, FL.

Gil, thanks for posting these. I was there in June and it was well worth the trip. It was tough to get photos in the main building, lots of reflections off of the glass but I'll post some of mine shortly. Did you make it to the out buildings? WWI, WWII and Modern?

Actually, it was the wife who made it out there, and unfortunately did not have a lot of time to spend there. But how wonderful that she brought these back.

I may be heading out there in the spring, and I am looking forward to it. And due to the light, I will probably take my tripod for some slow speed photoshooting.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a few of my photos. As mentioned before, the museum is broken down into separate buildings. In the WWII building, they had a display honoring the 507th PIR and it's D-Day drop.

post-203-0-87125600-1410257280.jpeg

Like the USAAF displays, they have a cut-away fuselage:

post-203-0-23441800-1410257291.jpeg