1/2" Ribbons,USMC/USN/USCG- wide,Navy wide.... show 'em please!

Leatherwringer

Lax-

The arrowhead device was not authorized for wear by the navy or marines, so those wide ribbons are probably those of an army veteran. We as collectors tend to think of things as being black or white when it comes to who wore what, but the reality is that these 1/2" ribbons were sometimes worn by army personnel since they were bigger and looked more impressive. Notice the three place bar in a previous post with the WAC medal. No doubts that one was worn by an army female!

Allan

This ribbon set is attributed to a Navy Dive Bomber pilot from WWII. It was awarded for scoring a direct hit on a Japanese battleship which contributed materially to the subsequent sinking of the warship. I've got the Navy Cross the pilot was awarded, its an absolutely beautiful piece in its original short box case.

post-33458-0-35943300-1412484701.jpg

• 3 months later...

Here is a set that came in a huge bag of regular size army ribbons i had bought to have for restorations. They are mounted on wolf brown mounts with ww2 flat clutches.

post-16540-0-65668900-1422338833.jpg

Also I recently bought a navy jumper with wolf brown ribbons. The bars holding the ribbons are made out of fiber board tho? Still have the posts and flat back clutches just never seen this before.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Old half inch Navy Cross Ribbon bar, half inch "fat" style, it's had a hard life. The center stripe is a little wide, is this the Navy Cross Ribbon? It's very dark and faded could it be the spanish campaign medal ribbon ? oops I think I've answered my own question !

post-3202-0-29488700-1515952676_thumb.jpg

post-3202-0-87950600-1515952683_thumb.jpg

Some ones ...

This ribbon bar came from the estate of Radm Harry Hull Jr., who received the Navy Cross in WWII as commander of the submarine USS Thresher:

Amazing rack. Thank you for sharing.

attachicon.gifpost-12036-1312848671.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-12036-1312848695.jpg

Hello all!

Great thread, I'm really enjoying seeing all of these great examples. Here's quick pic of a drawer of USN/USMC, a little mixed with standard size (hope that is OK), but quite a few wide examples too.

Let's keep this one going, they are all a feast for the eyes!

Best wishes,

Joe

attachicon.gifIMG_2348LO.jpg

That Medal of Merit & LoM with V & stars are very cool, I love how the stars make a V.