Mint ANB-H-1 receivers and "Y" loom

Sabrejet

I was recently fortunate to locate this unissued WW2 USAAF flight-helmet comms set thanks to a tip by littlebuddy (thanks Carl! ;) )

As any flight gear collector will tell you, these are increasingly hard to find in any condition these days, let alone mint! Over the years I've had several such sets but this is the first one which has chamois facings on the ANB-H-1 receivers, which themselves were made by Shure Bros., of Chicago.

This set is destined to be fitted into an A-11 helmet which I also recently acquired...no easy task! If / when I'm successful I'll post the finished item.

post-8022-0-92083700-1408178260.jpg

post-8022-0-68790700-1408178263.jpg

Great looking set. They look perfect on your A11.

If you don't mind me asking , What technique did you use to install those?

Semper Fi

Phil

Thank you Phil...it was the icing on the cake. Incredibly, I found both items separately barely 24 hrs apart. I guess lady luck smiled on me this time! ;)

As for fitting it...blood, sweat and tears! It's not an easy task, for sure. The diameter of the receivers is wider than the diameter of the holes in the mounts. So, you have to flex the mount carefully and slip the receiver in at an angle. I then used a small screwdriver in the manner of a tyre lever to get the receiver to sit in place. In the past, I've used a little liquid lubricant, but these receivers have a chamois facing so as I didn't wasnt to risk staining them I had to do it dry...which is harder...whilst all the time handling the whole thing as gently as possible so that the 70 year old rubber mount didn't split or crack. Thankfully, they were still quite flexible!

They look better in an RAF Type C :)

Nice work on that one Ian. Glad Carl was able to help you out. Those ANB-H-1s are pricey.

They look better in an RAF Type C :)

Nice work on that one Ian. Glad Carl was able to help you out. Those ANB-H-1s are pricey.

Ain't that the truth!! :o

Nice set. Yes, they are getting very hard to come by today. You have one of the better looking ANB-H-1 sets I've seen.

Congrats,

Sal