Bearmon

Operation Deep Freeze Dewline Polar, Arctic, Antarctic Operations

Bearmon, thanks for the link!

Mericle Rock:

A nunatak in the middle of Campbell Glacier, approximately 9 mi from its head, in Victoria Land. Mapped by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) from surveys and U.S. Navy air photos, 1960-64. Named by Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names (US-ACAN) for David L. Mericle, U.S. Navy (USN), electronics technician at McMurdo Station, 1967.

I'd like to find a patch to go with his grouping...

post-4361-0-67603900-1509730192_thumb.jpg

I’m not really knowledgeable on “Antarctic” patches... are there any with McMurdo Station on them. Might be a good search for me.

Arctic Submarine Laboratory (ASL) - Land of the ICEX, The Navy's Arctic Submarine Laboratory (ASL) is a Fleet Support Detachment of Commander, Undersea Warfighting Development Center (UWDC).

http://www.public.navy.mil/subfor/uwdc/asl/Pages/default.aspx

Arctic Submarine Laboratory 001.jpg

Arctic Submarine Laboratory 002.jpg

Set of USS ARNEB (AKA-56) Deep Freeze patches - Andromeda class attack cargo ship in service 1944 to 1971. 4 battle stars WWII, MUC for Apollo 7 recovery mission.

Polar logistic ship 1955-1964. Flagship of Deep Freeze I and made multiple Arctic and Antarctic voyages

AKA 56 USS ARNEB 001.jpg

AKA 56 USS ARNEB 001a.jpg

USS ARNEB (AKA-56) Andromeda class attack cargo ship in service 1944 to 1971. 4 battle stars WWII, MUC for Apollo 7 recovery mission.

Polar logistic ship 1955-1964. Flagship of Deep Freeze I and made multiple Arctic and Antarctic voyages

(Bearmon posted this one earlier)

AKA 56 USS ARNEB 002.jpg

AKA 56 USS ARNEB 003.jpg

USS ARNEB (AKA-56) Andromeda class attack cargo ship in service 1944 to 1971. 4 battle stars WWII, MUC for Apollo 7 recovery mission.

AKA 56 USS ARNEB 004.jpg

AKA 56 USS ARNEB 005.jpg

AKA 56 USS ARNEB 006.jpg

AKA 56 USS ARNEB 007.jpg

WILLIAMS FIELD (willy field) - Operation Deep Freeze - Southernmost Naval Air Traffic Control Headquarters - South Pole Williams Field MAC (Military Airlift Command) Center

Williams Field is named in honor of Richard T. Williams, a United States Navy equipment operator who drowned when his D-8 tractor broke through the ice on January 6, 1956. Williams and other personnel were participants in the first Operation Deep Freeze, a U.S. military mission to build a permanent science research station at McMurdo Station in anticipation of the International Geophysical Year 1957–58

Deep Freeze Williams Field ATC HQ MAC 001.jpg

Deep Freeze Williams Field ATC HQ MAC 002.jpg

WILLIAMS FIELD (willy field) - Operation Deep Freeze

Williams Field is named in honor of Richard T. Williams, a United States Navy equipment operator who drowned when his D-8 tractor broke through the ice on January 6, 1956. Williams and other personnel were participants in the first Operation Deep Freeze, a U.S. military mission to build a permanent science research station at McMurdo Station in anticipation of the International Geophysical Year 1957–58

Deep Freeze Williams Field 001.jpg

Deep Freeze Williams Field 002.jpg

USCGC POLAR STAR (AGB-10) & USCGC POLAR SEA (AGB-11) Commissioned in 1976 & 1978 respectively

Polar Star alongside her sister ship USCGC Polar Sea near McMurdo Station, Antarctica.

The upward angle of Polar Star's bow is designed so that the hull rides up onto the ice surface during icebreaking operations. Subsequently the ship's weight and forward motion combine to fracture the ice.

SeaStar.jpg

WAGB 10 USCGC POLAR STAR 001.jpg

USS GLACIER (AGB-4) Improved Wind class Icebreaker in USN service 1955 to 1966. She participated in 11 Deep Freeze operations for the USN. Later in USCG service 1966 to 1987

USCGC GLACIER (WAGB-4) In US Coast Guard Service, Hilborn Hamburger circa 1960's

WAGB 4 USCGC GLACIER Hilborn Hamburger 002a.jpg

WAGB 4 USCGC GLACIER Hilborn Hamburger 003a.jpg