Bearmon

Operation Deep Freeze Dewline Polar, Arctic, Antarctic Operations

They were also used with just the backing and illustrated individually. This one is also removed from the same deck jacket

Deep Freeze 62' 63' - On this expedition the STATEN ISLAND lost their Captain in a helicopter crash along with the pilot. Their remains were not recovered.

AGB 5 USS STATEN ISLAND 004.jpg

AGB 5 USS STATEN ISLAND 005.jpg

I hope you don't mind me adding one that I picked up today - This is my first "Polar" patch - this could be my next addiction

Bill

post-248-0-87235300-1491692819_thumb.jpg

"The Americans on this Island are not ordinary troops, but Marines, a special force recruited from jails and insane asylums for blood lust." -Japanese Newspaper found during the Battle of Guadalcanal - "They Got That Right!!" Chesty Puller

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gif

HC-1 DET 41 aboard the Wind class Icebreaker USS BURTON ISLAND (AGB-1) 1965 & 1966 On her last USN Antarctica Cruise flying a Bell helicopter

She was in USN service from 1946 to 1966. She then joined the Coast Guard as (WAGB-283) until 1978

HC 1 DET 41 AGB 1 USS BURTON ISLAND 1965 1966 001.jpg

HC 1 DET 41 AGB 1 USS BURTON ISLAND 1965 1966 002.jpg

Amundsen Scott station (1957–1975)
The original South Pole station, now referred to as "Old Pole", was constructed by an 18-man United States Navy crew during 1956–1957. The crew landed on site in October 1956 and was the first group to overwinter at the South Pole, during 1957. The low temperature recorded during 1957 was −74 °C (−101 °F). These temperatures, combined with low humidity and low air pressure, are survivable only with specialized equipment.
On January 3, 1958, Sir Edmund Hillary's team from New Zealand, part of the Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition, reached the station over land from Scott Base, followed shortly by Sir Vivian Fuchs' British scientific component.
The buildings of Old Pole were assembled from prefabricated components delivered to the South Pole by air and airdropped. They were originally built on the surface, with covered wood-framed walkways connecting the buildings. Although snow accumulation in open areas at the South Pole is approximately 8 in (20 cm) per year, wind-blown snow accumulates much more quickly in the vicinity of raised structures. By 1960, three years after the construction of the station, it had already been buried by 6 ft (1.8 m) of snow.
The station was abandoned in 1975 and became deeply buried, with the pressure causing the mostly wooden roof to cave in. The station was demolished in December 2010, after an equipment operator fell through the structure doing snow stability testing for the National Science Foundation (NSF). The area was being vetted for use as a campground for NGO guests.

Amundsen Scott Station South Pole Antarctica 001.jpg

Amundsen Scott Station South Pole Antarctica 002.jpg

Grouping from scientist who served on Admiral Byrd's flagship, USS/USNS WYANDOT (AKA-92) on Deep Freeze I and II after WYANDOT finished her duty with Operation SUNEC.

WYANDOT brought the Byrd expedition to the pole to establish the Little America base.

USNS WYANDOT 001.jpg

USNS WYANDOT 002.jpg

Operation-Deep-Freeze-Wyandot-KA92-3617 02.jpg

A nice pick came in today, got a pair of these on the cards USS Wyandotte AKA 92 looks like service at both ends of the world.

She was a T AKA from 1962 on so this patch is a 50's or early 60's vintage.

post-582-0-02636000-1495493910.jpg

donation2018.gif
donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif