Metallic WAVE striker insignia?

Grant S.

A very neat WAVE grouping was donated this week. Shoes, rain cover, two scrapbooks that are a cut above most scrapbooks, a large booklet on the Bronx training center with many, many excellent pictures of WAVES in their various uniforms, and a small bag of insignia. In it are two sets of metallic Yeoman insignia. These present a challenge because I searched Jeff Warner's book and saw no use of them, I searched the booklet that came with the donation and saw no use of them, but then I looked at the picture of the WAVE and her sister and a possible answer came to me. The Yeoman insignia on her sleeve just might be metallic. I know it's hard to tell in the picture below, which is a photo of a scan of a photo. Perhaps they didn't make the fabric striker mark in a small size to match the women's S1/c stripes? The smaller set on the left is marked VANGUARD New York on the back, and the larger set says only 1/20 G over Sterling (so, not cheap!). Also in the bag were the two anchors on the right. Note that they are a matched left and right pair. All I can think is that they were worn during boot camp? But why? Once again I plea for help from this august body of experts. Does anyone know the proper use of these insignia?

post-133376-0-53170500-1408102523.jpg

post-133376-0-15424800-1408102538.jpg

Also in the group was this very neat (and tiny) efficiency award. I'm curious if it was allowed to be worn on the uniform? Note the winged boot underneath. Apparently she was a very fast typist!

post-133376-0-36299900-1408102742.jpg

Enlisted specialty marks were embroidered, not metal. The only metal ones were for Chief Warrant and Warrant Officers (collar insignia). (Of course, commissioned officers had Corps insignia.) These would have been for a Ship's Clerk Warrant Officer since they are gold. A CWO would have been silver.

The anchors could be for midshipmen.

Charlie

Enlisted specialty marks were embroidered, not metal. The only metal ones were for Chief Warrant and Warrant Officers (collar insignia). (Of course, commissioned officers had Corps insignia.) These would have been for a Ship's Clerk Warrant Officer since they are gold. A CWO would have been silver.

The anchors could be for midshipmen.

Charlie

But would this have been the same for women? The regs were not always the same between the men and women in WWII. Correct?

...Kat

I've thought about this all morning and, as Sigsaye says, I'm sure the efficiency award is civilian. She just put it in the box with her other "stuff." The Yeoman insignia must be Warrant insignia, because they are in pairs. She would have to have bought a set, because they only came in pairs, but why would she buy 2 sets? If they were worn as a striker mark she would only ever need one at a time. Perhaps after the war she joined the reserves and made warrant, or married someone who became a warrant. Or maybe she wore them after the war on civilian clothes. Looking closely, it appears that the insignia on her uniform is larger than the metallic insignia. So while the mystery is not solved, I think I'll assume she never wore them on her uniform. It would still be nice to have conclusive evidence one way or the other. The anchors appear to be aviation cadet insignia, which I didn't know came in left/right pairs, but there you are. So, why did she have them? While all the insignia would be worthy additions to the museum's collection, I hate unsolved mysteries!

But would this have been the same for women? The regs were not always the same between the men and women in WWII. Correct?

...Kat

Well the WAVES had their uniform regs. But enlisted women didn't use metal specialty marks, either. Plus I do not beleive there were women Warrants in WWII.

From the 1943 WAVE uniform Regs:

1. Speciality marks shall be embroidered of silk, cotton, or rayon thread, and shall be the same size as prescribed for speciality marks of rating badges. (Section V-2 above). Speciality marks shall have a background matching in color the jacket, shirt, or working smock with which they are worn.

This is not things she would have worn. I have lots of stuff that I picked up during my career that I was not authorized to wear, but. "Colected". Just because feh had it does not mean she wore it

The anchors are aviation related the yeoman pins are male not female, as Sigs iluded to this is a compilation of things and not an archeological dig..Actually these anchors are in the 51 uniform regs as collar devices for aviation cadets and I have seen them paired with V-5 groupings

OK, so here is the actual story...you are all somewhat correct. The anchors are the STANDARD Naval Cadet insignia for all programs, and the metal insignia is NOT OFFICIAL WAVE INSIGNIA...however, it is plausible that it belonged to a WAVE...since these are rates that women did fill..however, they were likely purchased as civilian wear items, sweetheart or souvenir items. I find the story that they came from a WAVE completely plausible