USAAF A-11 flight helmet

Sabrejet

I paid a visit to my local antiques market this morning and found this very nice A-11 flight helmet. Lightly used but in overall great shape. There are no receivers fitted but I have some spares which I plan to add in due course.

post-8022-0-62968500-1408029625.jpg

post-8022-0-08432400-1408029627.jpg

That's a great looking helmet...nice to see it still has the clippee too!

Mark sends

Thanks! Yes...always a bonus! I've got some spares too...pick them up as and when I see them. They always come in handy.

How on earth is that in an antiques market in Wales?

Hello Neil...we've had this conversation in the past. It's Aladdin's cave in there...you need to pay it a visit! :D

Very nice Ian. Looks like a real nice clean one!

JD

Thanks JD. Yes...very clean. No greasy chamois lining! :)

I paid a visit to my local antiques market this morning and found this very nice A-11 flight helmet. Lightly used but in overall great shape. There are no receivers fitted but I have some spares which I plan to add in due course.

Nice find. I only ever installed receivers one time and I hope I never have to do it again! What a job, my thumbs have never been the same - and that was 35 years ago!

Nice find. I only ever installed receivers one time and I hope I never have to do it again! What a job, my thumbs have never been the same - and that was 35 years ago!

Ain't that the truth John?! I've done so myself once or twice and it isn't easy. I ended up using a little liquid detergent as a lubricant and a small spoon handle in the manner of a tire lever!

Awesome looking A11. So do I see a name under the Spec tag? It looks like it was covered up but I kind of see some letters.

Semper Fi

Phil

Awesome looking A11. So do I see a name under the Spec tag? It looks like it was covered up but I kind of see some letters.

Semper Fi

Phil

Yes...annoyingly there does appear to have been a name but it's rather illegible beneath the blue ink. I've got several other re-issued items with names blocked out and new names added, so obviously it was accepted practice....waste not, want not.

Great helmet! Looks to be an early example too. Nice score. Get a headset in there and it will be set up proper!

Thanks Rob. On its way, as we speak. Apparently unissued, but pretty darned expensive! :o

usaaf-flying-helmet-y-loom-receivers_144

Thanks Rob. On its way, as we speak. Apparently unissued, but pretty darned expensive! :o

usaaf-flying-helmet-y-loom-receivers_144

I remember doing the exact same thing - never thought of the spoon handle as a miniature tire iron but just so! I would love to read the official AAF directions on how that's to be done. Just think - somewhere, someone has that official tool and they've always wondered "just exactly what the h#ll was this thing for - looks like a miniature tire iron" :)