Garrison cap ID?

gumbytoddnet

gumbytoddnet

post-84232-0-80777000-1407812181.jpg

Hello I picked up this cap over the weekend and am on the fence with the pipe color? I was looking over the posts and it looks gold to me but I see the signals is also kinda that color. My question or questions are? This has nice dark twill with very nice leather band and lining did enlisted wear that type or only officers? Also the topic of the twist braid is that this was a tailor made or custom made not standard GI right? Thanks for any help.

It looks like the buff shade that was assigned to the Quartermaster Corps. As for the cap itself, it appears to be one of the many "officer quality" variants which were available for private purchase by Enlisted Men. Cap braid came in all kinds of different types...it just depended on what was available to the cap-maker. That plaited type you have there was not uncommon.

I was going to say "buff".

as far as I know the leather sweatbands didn't show up on these caps until post-ww2.

-Brian

RustyCanteen

as far as I know the leather sweatbands didn't show up on these caps until post-ww2.

-Brian

Private purchase caps could have a leather sweatband.

gumbytoddnet

Great thanks guys for all the fast replys!!! It is real leather and in very nice shape a few moth nips. But I am happy for 4 bucks! :) Just was unsure about the quality and enlisted with U.S. stuff. We tend to be more uniform (or was when I was in). So it was throwing me for a loop. Now I need to find a nice twill private purchas enlisted jacket. :( Thanks Again!!!

Private purchase caps could have a leather sweatband.

Good point guys!

is there any way to tell a private purchase WW2 cap from a postwar issue cap with a leather sweatband?

I think the obvious is the shape, as I don't believe any postwar caps had the "rounded" shape and all had square corners?

This has turned into a discussion I can learn from!

-Brian

B

A lot of the private purchase or PX caps are made of worsted wool/gabradine material.Rayin/sil liner etc.

There are also tailored ones.I have one some place that was made from a trouser leg or from the material of a set of trousers.It had a leather type sweatband plus a red/maroon silk type lining.

Also have owned and seen the caps with parachute webbing sweatbands and either german or american cano chute material sewn inside for a liner.THese are just customized details some would do.

I have seen some on the net with camo/chute liners...

I probably have turned down a couple nice WW2 caps because they had a leather band!!

-Brian