Willow Grove NAS Snapshots 1968 and 1974

gwb123

Wow...missed this thread first time around. I grew up about a half hour from WG and my dad would take me to see the planes, see the 'museum' planes at the fenceline, and then to the airshows when I was little. When I would drive home on the turnpike from college, I would see P-3s and A-10s all the time, nearly getting myself in accident once! In 2006 my wife and I bought our first house together about 3 miles south of the base. I had a perfect vantage point for incoming traffic on runway 33 and outgoing on runway 15. I bought a scanner and drove my wife crazy always listening to it. After photographing aircraft there for a year or so, I got in touch with some people at the 103rd FS/111th FW and did some photo work for them. I'll never forget when I learned that the base got BRACed. So upsetting, especially the reasoning behind it. Anyways.....it was a great base and definitely brings back memories for me. I drive by it at least once a week now as I still live in the area. Sad sight now.....there's bushes all over the runway, grass gets cut once and a while, and 80% of it is just a ghost town now. The public spoke out against it becoming an airport...well, the public being about 75 people who just didn't want the airport...and so now it's sitting there for probably a few more years till they start the redevelopment process and we get a shopping center, low income housing, and maybe a park.

Please feel free to post some of your photographs, either on this thread or start a new one since they would be from a more recent time period.

In my mind's eye, it is all still there.