Koren War trench art - silver ring

granthansen

I found this ring while metal detecting. All research I've done points me to trench art. It's heavy and silver. I'm wondering if anyone here may know something about this type of art? I will be donating the ring to the Korean War National Museum later this week where I hope others will be able to experience it. Thanks!

korean-war-trench-ring-1.jpg

korean-war-trench-ring-3.jpg

korean-war-trench-ring-2.jpg

My dad was on submarines in the 1960s, and he said they would file down large lug nuts with a diamond file to make rings like this. Not sure if this is the same, but it would be a good way to pass the time. He still wears his every day!

Nice ring-- I have seen similar examples. I recall seeing something similar that had a KW era date on it as well.

I would call it a souvenir ring vice trench art.

TO ME, it would have to be made from war refuse to be classifed as trench art.

Scott

My dad was on submarines in the 1960s, and he said they would file down large lug nuts with a diamond file to make rings like this. Not sure if this is the same, but it would be a good way to pass the time. He still wears his every day!

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't imagine doing that. Glad it's stood the test of time!

Nice ring-- I have seen similar examples. I recall seeing something similar that had a KW era date on it as well.

I would call it a souvenir ring vice trench art.

TO ME, it would have to be made from war refuse to be classifed as trench art.

Scott

Thanks Scott. I don't know much about trench art. My thinking was that this ring was sold as a blank and then etched/carved? I have seen one other example but "KOREA" is rotated 180 degrees, which seems to make more sense, as on this ring it seems upside down. Just a wild guess though.