Looking for information on P-4 Clear Visor

Bluespicker

Years ago back even before the internet and digital cellphone cameras, there was a dealer named Chad Lebeau who ran "Aviation Artifacts". Chad was easily the biggest aviation collectibles dealer in the country and had a positively fantastic collection. I remember that he had a P-4 helmet with a clear visor which was quite rare. I once asked A CMSgt at Life support about this and was told that the clear visors existed but he didn't think many were made or issued.

I thought I found one of these from a Yugoslavian seller on EBAY. The visor had a protective film on it and I couldn't tell from the photograph if the visor was clear or tinted.

Figured I'd see if anyone out there has a photo or possibly a clear visor for the P-4. My thoughts on this: the P series helmets were sold to a number of nations around the world and a clear visor might have been required by one of these countries in the early 1960s. Honestly, Chad may have had a one-off that was hand made by a flyer or life support troop but I seem to remember a photo of the visor by itself... Anyone have any information on a P series Clear visor?

Remember at least two different P-4Bs helmets in different photos of It.A.F. pilots flying strike F-84F in early '60s, having clear visors.

almost surely they were in aviation magazines, AMI-related articles wich currently I do not have anymore. The only doubt whether were they US-made P-4Bs and issued overseas or, were they Italian-made (by Giusti Co.) -

In this latter instance, type and shape of visor knob on Italian helmets are unique indeed - not even a true knob, rather a chromed and "S"-shaped blade wich acted the "up" and "down". But I'm not longer sure about which type it was.

Franco.

Just 'cause having mentioned the Giusti-made helmets.

Here visor is dark, but the special "knob" is visible enough. Pic taken from Internet.

post-151851-0-72221000-1407875663.jpg

Me too, surely. Difficult indeed even here in Italy to have a Giusti-made helmet in conditions like this - or even, to have any Giusti-made helmets.

And, must say this firm made from the soft fabric specimens (in the '40s) to the licensed P-1, through the the P-4 and -4B to the single and dual visors HGU-2A/Ps.

The only instance I passed through to obtain a brand-new, unused Giusti-made "ramshorns" HGU-2A/P I preferred a similar one (but made by Sierra Eng.) which at least had been worn by an It.A.F. F-104 pilot - see the "Devil's Hand helmet" topic.

The Italian made P-4 helmet is certainly well made. From the photo the fit and finish look awesome. That is a nice helmet.

I wasn't aware that licensed versions of the P helmets were made in Italy or other places for that matter (thought the helmets were made in the USA and then sent overseas with aircraft). But this might explain the reason I have no part number for the clear visors in USAF TOs: the visors may have been made by other manufacturers outside the United States. At one time, I had contact with a South African collector and I think he had a P series with the clear visor. I had photos but I don't seem to be able to find anything.... been through like 4 computers during this timeframe!!!

There are a couple of interesting things about the P series that I have been trying to nail down for years: supposed to be a few gold coated P series visors out there; some clear visors; a P series helmet with a TOPTEX style liner; and then there is the P-2 which is sort of like the Navy H-3 & H-4 only equipped with an A-11 or AN-H-15. I have the H-71/AIC in an A-11 which is the inner helmet for the P-2. Looking for a P-2 Suspension liner. I think there are a number of them out there.

will try to find anything about that clear visor matter.

I know about an Italian collector who is somehow a sort of "authority" about the P series helmets mainly the Giusti-made ones, and does have a nice collection of them. If anything does exist concerning matter of foreign-made clear visors, he should be the most suitable person for that.

Will contact him this evening, thing becomes to be intriguing for me too.

Franco.

Hello,

as promised - that Italian collector very kindly answered me and sent a couple pics of a Giusti-made P-4B having the clear visor. Just, he isn't 100% sure the visor also is italian-made. More possibly, could be foreign.

Helmet is anyway a beauty. Again thanks to Claudio.

post-151851-0-79128700-1407958641.jpg

Thank you very much for the photo that helmet is really nice... now if we can find the gold coated visor!

Just some corrections as suggested by that expert about the Giusti-made helmets:

* Italian firm "Giusti" didn't have license on P-1 helmets, rather from P-3 through P-4B;

* Any Giusti-made "P-4B" helmet having the U.S.-style big rubber knob and 100% identical to it, is anyway NOT called a P-4B - it is a Giusti P-4A/1 in our nomenclature.

To next one for that gold visor, yes - could it be more difficult than finding the needle in a haystack??

Franco.

An interesting variation:

microphone from a APH-5 helmet, and modified clear visor from a HGU-26/P have been added to this P-4. Strip of neoprene (black in photo) glued to visor's upper rim does help in better make the correct thickness to go firmly in visor's curved bar.

This a Danish P-4 of later years. Visor could be from a APH-5 as well?

post-151851-0-79413200-1407965328.jpg

No helmets earlier than P-3 were brought from the US to Yugoslavia in the '50s, and many stayed unused.

Many of hese, plus many P-3s made there under license nothing less than during early '80s (!!), and called the PK-07, apparently made their way back to USA in very late '90s - many went to collectors and it's entirely possible some clear visors are now around, of course without any chance of going after p/n numbers or similar.

• 1 month later...
northcoastaero

I believe the book Strategic Air Command A Portrait has at least one photo of a P series helmet (or MB- helmet) with a clear

visor. The book is from the mid 1960s and has many photos of SAC flight crews with P- series, HGU-2/P, and other flight gear.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

as promised - that Italian collector very kindly answered me and sent a couple pics of a Giusti-made P-4B having the clear visor. Just, he isn't 100% sure the visor also is italian-made. More possibly, could be foreign.

Helmet is anyway a beauty. Again thanks to Claudio.

attachicon.gifSDC11359.JPG

Hello in this case You can see a other version of visor in this case a clear green !!!

post-161118-0-35297800-1447885241.jpg

• 5 years later...

I know this is a super old post, however I picked this up in a batch of visors. I can not remember where or when. Hope this adds to the topic. No white paint on the frame, do not know if this was a thing or someone removed it somewhere along the line.1993165430_P-4clearvisor.jpg.5c5e714a0b072f3413426e7de52b5403.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

IMG_2941.jpg