What era is this uniform from?

duarte1223

Found this at my local flea market for only $5, had to pick it up, especially with how nicely patched it is. Any thoughts on era or value? I don't collect much beyond WW2...

post-101-0-56334400-1407801110.jpg

Another question, has anyone tried to clean one of these? It's stained up, but I'm sure they'll come out, and it smells god-awful to be honest... I'd like to stick it in the washer, think it'll survive?

It looks to me like a WWII era HBT top, or a variant of it. I have no clue if it's real or not but the insignia is newer and wouldn't go on this jacket. It's post-68 subdued. Plus the army tape is on the wrong side and the CIB would go above the army tape on the other side.

Steve Brannan

Looks to me like someone sewed 1980s insignia on a WWII Hbt jacket. It should survive gentle washing. If it were mine, I'd remove the new insignia, wash it and sell the jacket as is for $20.

Thanks! For $5, I couldn't pass it up, should be able to sell the insignia for that! I guess I was duped by the patches... After a second look this is definitely an early WW2 HBT...

First pattern WW2 HBT jacket. Remove the inappropriate insignia and you'll have yourself a desirable collectible as these are far less common than the HBT shirts which followed.

Removing the modern patches might leave some slight stitch marks/shadows but that is infinitely preferrable to leaving it as it is IMHO. It's pretty grubby too. Washing it after removing the patches will really help to restore its original appearance.