My US Collection

jmpmstr

• 1 month later...

I know I posted the pics before but I am jazzed because.......The Holy Grail of my US collection so far, has arrived.....for advanced collectors it might be normal course, but for me I never imagined I would have one in mine....the Dewey is much more impressive in hand than in any photo, just amazing.

post-114-1227279487.jpgpost-114-1227279500.jpg

Wow, Sal! You have an impressive collection! Thank you so much for sharing. And that Dewey Medal, magnificent. That too, is my Holy Grail of medals. Perhaps one day...

You mentioned earlier that the Airman's Medal you have is an early strike. I have one I beleive to be early as well. I haven't really been able to find much info on this medal, so, I was curious as to what leads you to think that your AM is an early example. It's too bad the Air Force never numbered those! If you have a moment would you post close-up pics of your Sampson Medal and the older Airman's Medal for us?

Thanks again for sharing, and keep at it!

G

Based on the crispness and detail of the strike I believe the Airman's Medal to be an early issues. I have had several collector friends more expert than me tell me the same. If you look at recent to current strikes and compare the difference is clear. I hope the planchets in the pics are close enough to tell the tale. As for period I dont know but gather 70s.

post-114-1227378612.jpg

Wow, Sal! You have an impressive collection! Thank you so much for sharing. And that Dewey Medal, magnificent. That too, is my Holy Grail of medals. Perhaps one day...

You mentioned earlier that the Airman's Medal you have is an early strike. I have one I beleive to be early as well. I haven't really been able to find much info on this medal, so, I was curious as to what leads you to think that your AM is an early example. It's too bad the Air Force never numbered those! If you have a moment would you post close-up pics of your Sampson Medal and the older Airman's Medal for us?

Thanks again for sharing, and keep at it!

G

Shots of the Sampsons as requested

USS New York

post-114-1227846434.jpgpost-114-1227846459.jpg

• 4 months later...

Now that I have moved and am settled I have some of the goodies back out of hibernation.

My LOMs, still looking to replace the WWII era Legionairre.

post-114-1238889836.jpg

Brian Dentino

Just a beautiful and awesome collection. Seeing these is a real treat...thanks for sharing and keep posting, Sal! Just awesome!

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK so now I have a thing for embroidered ribbon racks...every time I get focused, I get unfocused....Thanks to Bill and Tom for the first 2 in my collection.

BSM/ARCOM set

post-114-1282762572.jpg

Second set. Thanks to Tom for the pick up. Should have it this weekend, so using Tom's sale pic for now even though I don't have it yet.

post-114-1282762762.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Small sample of my US collection that is not boxed or cased. Some of the highlights for me are the AFC marked HLP; the Army DSM is a slot brooch piece; Navy BSM with a wrap brooch; the Airman's Medal is an older strike as are all the post 1960s ones. Wrap brooch numbered Army GCM; of course the Sampson (one of 2 that I am lucky to have); the 2 LOM Chief Commanders are 2 of my favorites. ONe is an earlier strike i believe from the 60s, the other is a 70s+ piece with the 12c mark. The Navy group is nothing spectacular in the medals but I bought it from Bill Deinna simply because is is named to a man named Panaro, which is my maternal grandmother's family. So I thought there would be a connection when I get around to researching him. The NYS CSM are just appealing to me aesthetically as well because i am a New Yorker.

I have lots of pre WW I campaign medals as well but keep them in their boxes until I get something to display them in. The cased pieces will come later. Thanks for looking

post-114-1213898468.jpg

nice collection

• 1 month later...