Scarce variation of the V42

Eric Queen

Thanks Allan. I am quite sure that the collector has not touched the piece. I have another friend who saw it as soon as he got it, it wouldn't make any sense at all (why not just sew it on the right way?), etc.

My guess is what you mentioned last. Someone, perhaps a family member, "helped" him light it up for a parade or reunion (or both). Interesting but I think it compromises most of the collectors value. In my opinion, the tunic (shown here) is 100% untouched and I am quite happy with it.

Thanks again

Eric

Thanks Allan. I am quite sure that the collector has not touched the piece. I have another friend who saw it as soon as he got it, it wouldn't make any sense at all (why not just sew it on the right way?), etc.

My guess is what you mentioned last. Someone, perhaps a family member, "helped" him light it up for a parade or reunion (or both). Interesting but I think it compromises most of the collectors value. In my opinion, the tunic (shown here) is 100% untouched and I am quite happy with it.

Thanks again

Eric

Thanks for posting the knives Eric.

Great stuff.Were you able to get both of the knives the Major had??

Dependng n the price I would have bought that Dennison in a heart beat.Hard to say on the wing.Just speculating but maybe he reversed the wing to give it a more subdued appearance on the smock??

No, just the one.

As for the wings Ron I really have no idea. Hard to believe it was done by accident but I just don't know. Could the black maple leaf have some significance (in honor of the KIA or something like that?) who knows and it would only be pure conjecture on my part. Maybe his wife/daughter sewned them on backwards for a reunion/parade and he didn't want to say anything. Possibilities are endless. To be honest, if I end up with it I think I would "restore" it even though this is something I rarely if every do. I am opposed to touching/messing with anything "original" but I cannot imagine that this was its original state prior to wars end.

Kurt Barickman

This is a great thread and am very impressed by your recent FSSF postings. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

Kurt

No, just the one.

As for the wings Ron I really have no idea. Hard to believe it was done by accident but I just don't know. Could the black maple leaf have some significance (in honor of the KIA or something like that?) who knows and it would only be pure conjecture on my part. Maybe his wife/daughter sewned them on backwards for a reunion/parade and he didn't want to say anything. Possibilities are endless. To be honest, if I end up with it I think I would "restore" it even though this is something I rarely if every do. I am opposed to touching/messing with anything "original" but I cannot imagine that this was its original state prior to wars end.

Eric

I totally agree with you.I think I would just leave it as is.Its an anomaly that may have significance to the vet only.I have a FSSF cap and it had a unit DI on it.I asked the vet and he said it was his unit he was in prior to joining the Force.As he told it he wore the DI as the unit had been wiped out or decimated in the Pacific.Years ago my dad had removed it from the cap and framed it with the vets other things.THe vet wore it and it wasnt correct but he did this as it meant something to him only.

suwanneetrader

Thanks for taking the time to share so much. Is this design of Fairborn only used by Canadian or also some other UK Airborne units? Richard

Eric thanks for making this thread. God bless Mr. McFadden. IMHO I'd love to see this thread pinned. Great additional information on both the V42 and the FSSF.

Eric, thanks for sharing such a great find. I too am very interested in the FSSF. I have two v-42s. but I found this on ebay the other day and created a thread for it on this forum:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1209385-mismarked-V-42

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

I believe your example is the result of too much "thumb print". I take it yours is NOT marked CASE on the reverse of the blade? You might note in my thread above, I address the idea of these blade blanks being stamped first, then the gimping machine used afterwards to create the thumb print. But your example throws doubt on that idea if, it's not stamped at all!

regards, m

The McFadden V42 is not stamped (maker marked) at all on either side of the ricasso. For what it's worth, I have seen the piece you have posted (in the flesh) and it is 100% original in my opinion. BTW, there does not seem to be a way to view the thread you posted without being a member of that forum.

Yes true, I'd forgotten about that! And yes of course it's an original example.... in that unviewable thread I simply ask the question "has anyone ever seen one marked like it?", so far no response.

Once long ago I had a person well versed in these knives tell me there were some "variances" in those issued to Canadian members. His story was that some of them were phosphate finished. I'll add to that, sterile knives were nothing new even back then, particularly to the OSS and such. Who knows, it's a super find marked or not!

regards, m

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad that I took Allan's advice and bought the Denison smock. The insignia (which someone glued on it at some point) came off clean. It is really a super piece. I spoke with a couple 1 Can Para Bn collectors and they tell me they have seen the reversed wings on combat garments before. They seem to think (that Ron is right) and it was a way to "subdue" the wings. You can tell they have been on there (this way) a LONG time and I am going to leave them just as is. Cool piece to a former FSSF officer who took part in Varsity.

DSC_1128.JPG

Eric,

When I saw that you had posted more to this thread I got very excited because I knew that I was going to get to see some more great items and you did not disappoint!
Congratulations on the acquisition and I am glad that I could be of some assistance. That smock would be the centerpiece of most British and Commonwealth airborne collections just as a smock. The fact that it is attributed and to a Canadian, WOW!!! :o I would encourage you to tack-stitch the crowns back on the shoulder straps of the smock as it will only add to the display. It is obviously the way that McFadden wore the smock when he jumped on Varsity.

The printed 1st Can Para titles and Pegasus patches are also very desirable and you have a complete, documented set. Congratulations on those too! I would encourage you to tack stitch the crowns back on the shoulder straps of the smock as it will only add to the display. I feel like a kid at Christmas who watches his older brother unwrap his first BB gun. I am very happy for you and admit that I am more than slightly jealous, but in a good way. I know that these items are going to be well respected and cared for over the years to come. Thanks for sharing the images and the story.

Allan

Wow Eric! What an amazing smock! It's quite incredible that it's in such great shape and with all the little extras that make it even more special!

As a Canadian, I'm obviously very proud of what our troops did in WWII but especially those that participated in such highly trained and specialized units and seeing their gear and equipment in the hands of dedicated collectors makes me very happy!

....and of course you can tell by my forum name, I'm a big fan of 1 Can Para items ;)

Rick

• 2 months later...

another one I'm glad popped to the top. What peaked my interst in a V42 thread turned out to be an outstanding grouping!!!

Congrat's

Semper Fi

Phil