3rd division painted helmet

Guest bigred1

101combatvet

Might be easier to find another wife anyway. hug.gif

Scott,

If i paid that sort of money i think my wife would have grounds for divorce - on second thought's your right. WHY didn't i go for it. :lol:

Rich

PS -Lovely helmet.

does it really matter? its gone-- he has it.

No,It doesnt really matter....I realize its gone.As I stated I was just curious what the exhange rate was and Bug me was enough of a gentleman to reply to my question.

RON

I happened to click on the buyers ebay name to see where he was from and as everyone said he is from italy but his ebay info page shows a pic of a room full of helmets! I hope he belongs to this forum and will post some of them or at least the 3rd ID helmet with more detailed pictures!!!!!......mike w00t.gif

I happened to click on the buyers ebay name to see where he was from and as everyone said he is from italy but his ebay info page shows a pic of a room full of helmets! I hope he belongs to this forum and will post some of them or at least the 3rd ID helmet with more detailed pictures!!!!!......mike w00t.gif

I looked at the picture on his profile also... Wow, he's got a very orderly and extensive collection! Sorry about the small size, It's off of his thumbnail. Someone more advanced than me can maybe enlarge this.

0264_7.jpg

Striking 9th
Scott,

If i paid that sort of money i think my wife would have grounds for divorce - on second thought's your right. WHY didn't i go for it. :lol:

Rich

PS -Lovely helmet.

They always complain when you buy them. They don't mind when you cash them in however. That one is going to be scary valuable in the future.

Scott

Helmet collecting is very, very popular in Italy. Some of the earliest reference books on helmets were published by an Italian author. I've seen some real nice M1 finds in the hands of Italian collectors.

Helmet collecting is very, very popular in Italy. Some of the earliest reference books on helmets were published by an Italian author. I've seen some real nice M1 finds in the hands of Italian collectors.

Yeah, Iv seen some of the best helmets on ebay from italian sellers

well guys--- to put this to sleep once and for all--- i did bid 5,000.00 on it. after i did there was some regret due to the fact as i mentioned there was no id at all in the pot or the liner. if you are or i should say on a high ticket item as this one in my eyes it should have id for the big bucks. i can say that about 95% of my lids are matched pot and liner weather it be rank, name and or sn or div. insignia. thats the way i want it. i agree it was a good one maybe the only one you will see up for sale but without the id you just cant trace it. you guys know what i mean. the winner was waiting in the wings. his winning bid was the only bid he put in. i had time to put in another bid once he placed his and i will tell you this i would have put a 8 to 10,000.00 bid on it if i really wanted it. i have the backing but i let it go due to no id.

well guys--- to put this to sleep once and for all--- i did bid 5,000.00 on it. after i did there was some regret due to the fact as i mentioned there was no id at all in the pot or the liner. if you are or i should say on a high ticket item as this one in my eyes it should have id for the big bucks. i can say that about 95% of my lids are matched pot and liner weather it be rank, name and or sn or div. insignia. thats the way i want it. i agree it was a good one maybe the only one you will see up for sale but without the id you just cant trace it. you guys know what i mean. the winner was waiting in the wings. his winning bid was the only bid he put in. i had time to put in another bid once he placed his and i will tell you this i would have put a 8 to 10,000.00 bid on it if i really wanted it. i have the backing but i let it go due to no id.

ID'd lids are fast becoming the Achilles heal of collecting. It's so hard to find them with documentation like your Red Bull. I'm afraid that we're to a point that we'll have to settle for the non ID'd lids for our collections if we're going to continue collecting. Of course, this allows greater opportunities for the fakers but, what do we do? Currently only about 20% of my collection is positively ID'd with about 5% that I'm trying to research off of very limited information. I have to say, I'd still have gone up to $6000.00 for this one if it weren't for my sons upcoming wedding expenses. I, like you, was 100% sure on this one. Well, it's done, let's wait for the next big offering and we'll dual it out then :packin heat:

yes--- id'ed lids and if your lucky a matching pot and liner are rear. how ever--- tto hell with the repro junk and the tarts that make them. as with the red bull-- it jumped out at me when i first saw it just like the 3rd div. my point is this--- if i am going to slam down big bucks it to me should be a total match. that is my moneys worth. i was very tempted to swoop down with a 8,000.00 bid on the second try but, the lack of the id stopped me. next time?????????????????????????

316th FS 324th FG
Oh, Look another one and only 500 Buy it now.... :unsure:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-Helmet-with-origi...emZ260256006008

Ok, I am sure this is an easy question fo rmost of you, but asking on behalf of the less experienced, what is it about the first that makes it seem more legitimate than the second (ignoring the timing of it) based on the pics? Is it the size of the 3RD ID insignia? Other issues?

Maybe a side by side comparison of the two would be helpful.

Ok, I am sure this is an easy question fo rmost of you, but asking on behalf of the less experienced, what is it about the first that makes it seem more legitimate than the second (ignoring the timing of it) based on the pics? Is it the size of the 3RD ID insignia? Other issues?

Maybe a side by side comparison of the two would be helpful.

You asked... you got it, side by side. Beside the fact that this seller "catmando45" is a know seller of, should we say very questionable helmets and of very questionable ethics. You can see that the rust(patina) is a brush on type coating that gives a "look" of rust. When you get it in your hands, you can see the difference. If you look at the pictures, the fake one has rust on the paint, a sure sign of a fake. I'm sure the seller would be happy to take only $500 for his... that's a lot more than it's worth!

This is plain out right criminal on the sellers part. To his credit, he moved faster than I thought. Not even 24 hours later and it's up on eBay... you can smell the paint from here. disgust.gif

ushelmet_2.jpg

fake_1.jpg

Ok... within minutes after I made my last post, he changes his name!?!? Below is his eBay ID history!

User ID Effective Date End Date

garbage_girl Jun-26-08 Present

catmando45 May-17-05 Jun-26-08

phipps2001 Jun-05-01 May-17-05

Notice his very first one... Phipps is also is the last name of the owner of easy_green. He should be ashamed!

316th FS 324th FG
You asked... you got it, side by side. Beside the fact that this seller "catmando45" is a know seller of, should we say very questionable helmets and of very questionable ethics. You can see that the rust(patina) is a brush on type coating that gives a "look" of rust. When you get it in your hands, you can see the difference. If you look at the pictures, the fake one has rust on the paint, a sure sign of a fake. I'm sure the seller would be happy to take only $500 for his... that's a lot more than it's worth!

This is plain out right criminal on the sellers part. To his credit, he moved faster than I thought. Not even 24 hours later and it's up on eBay... you can smell the paint from here. disgust.gif

Bugme

Thanks! It is still hard for my unpracticed eye to tell much from the photos, although the explanation is helpful. Which means only that I should not buy a helmet I can't hold in my own hands before paying for it. And even better if I can do it alongside someone who has experience.

It reminds of when we were learning about detecting counterfeit bills. We studied real bills and tested fakes based on those known features. We didnt waste time on various techniques. You got so you knew real bills so well, fakes were easy.

BTW, is catmando45 and garbagegirl the same? And are they equal to easy green as another post on her suggested?

Thanks again

D

316th FS 324th FG
Ok... within minutes after I made my last post, he changes his name!?!? Below is his eBay ID history!

User ID Effective Date End Date

garbage_girl Jun-26-08 Present

catmando45 May-17-05 Jun-26-08

phipps2001 Jun-05-01 May-17-05

Notice his very first one... Phipps is also is the last name of the owner of easy_green. He should be ashamed!

Ah, I see. Thanks again.

So much for him selling his lids as disclosed repros......what a @#$% crook! thumbdown.gif

I gave him the benefit of the doubt before. Even helped him get some exposure on this very forum so he could explain himself and what he was doing. Now, this is what he does. How much more blatant can he be? Man, I gotta park my fingers before I type things I'll regret!

Oh, Look another one and only 500 Buy it now.... :unsure:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-Helmet-with-origi...emZ260256006008

This Helmet is a WWII model, with markings of the 3rd Division , I do not know what the club on the back represents but I saw one exactly the same as this sell for over $5,000 the other day on ebay, I'll be happy with much less. The helmet has it's original paint I believe and is in fairly good shape, it does have a few issues,the chinstrap loops have been at some in time broken and then reattached, it has two small cracks in the shell the biggest crack is show up close in one of the photos.

wow, sounds he's making up a story ? the chin strap looks have at one time broken and reattached

he's the guy that reattached it, but he's playing dumb

"This Helmet is a WWII model, with markings of the 3rd Division , I do not know what the club on the back represents but I saw one exactly the same as this sell for over $5,000 the other day on ebay, I'll be happy with much less"

Oh, cmon, the Real one sold for US $5,692.00.. so that means the seller is more then happy with a 5,192.00 dollor lose????!!? disgust.gif

Yeah, Right!

thumbdown.gifthumbdown.gif

He also sold this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=260236134563

laughing1.gif

I know I say everything is easy_green but cmon look at that liner age job! lol

post-2305-1214524234.jpg

post-2305-1214524240.jpg