3rd division painted helmet

Guest bigred1

Well, the helmet that began this thread has now got 3 days left and is up to $2,500.00. Will be interesting to see if this one will top five grand.

it may go big up to 5,000. but, it just dont do much for me. as i said nothing else came out of this house?? just 2 helmets?? no pictures, patches, letters or what ever??? i need more proof and if it were there and the liner was matched in marking and or name-serial number, that item would be mine!!! no joke about it. i'm not saying its bad but, for the money it has to show more.

Its gonna go huge.....when was the last time a genuine ( if in fact it is real) tactically marked 3rd ID helmet was up for grabs?

Its gonna go huge.....when was the last time a genuine ( if in fact it is real) tactically marked 3rd ID helmet was up for grabs?

Last time? think.gif There was not last time, this is my first time... in 30 years. I guess rare would be appropriate here. However, I'm sure now that we'll see at least 10 of these in the next year up for grabs on eBay, if you catch my drift.

Last time? think.gif There was not last time, this is my first time... in 30 years. I guess rare would be appropriate here. However, I'm sure now that we'll see at least 10 of these in the next year up for grabs on eBay, if you catch my drift.

Yes, I do... :dry:

Check this photo

also check the actual view by clicking on alternate image below - took me a whole morning to find the exact spot!

http://www.dogfacesoldiers.org/vosges/xxxx-11.htm

Thanks for spending the time finding this. Some of these pictures are so rare and are in such few places, that few people ever see them. I've not seen this one before, showing clearly the 7th Regiment "spade" markings of the 3rd ID!

Current bid with one day left on this thread starter: $3,110.99

10.jpg

Who wants to pool their money with me, buy this helmet, and we'll have joint custody? I'm guessing we'll need at least four in the group. Three months out of the year with this helmet on my shelf would be AWESOME!!!

Well, all of the re-enactors on that other "Re-enactor Board" say its a fake because it doesnt look like any other original theyve ever seen. In over 20 years of collecting, this is the FIRST of this kind I have ever seen, so I dont know what their using for comparison. Heres my take, in reply to one of the members whose hairtrigger reesponse was to immediately decry this as a fake, as I posted on that other forum. (I've deleted the members name)

I'm the worlds biggest skeptic when it comes to ebay helmets, but I've got to say that your jumping the gun on this one. I know that your the resident 3rd ID "go to guy" and I've relied on your research in the past, but I have no doubts as to this authenticity. I've been "faking" helmets for more than 10 years now and know every trick in the book. Some things, no matter the level of artistry, just cant be faked. Lots of factors could contribute to the color of the third ID insignia....paint on hand at the time, exposure to the elements over the decades, fading, etc. As for the club being painted and not stencilled, "never say never" and "never say always". In 20 years of collecting, I've seen just as many 1000% original hand painted insignia when they "should have been stencilled" as I have original stencilled examples. Again, many factors could have contributed to this particular GI hand painting his club on the back. Maybe he was in a hurry, maybe he was a late replacement, maybe the stencil tore or became paint soaked and un-useable by the time it got to him, maybe his platoon Sgt said "f*ck it, we gotta go" and he did it last minute...who knows? There are only a handfull of guys in the world who "fake" helmets convincingly and in any quantity whatsoever (and I include Josh Murray, Nick at Top Pots, Fred at Gordon Clan, Easy Green and I in that group) and I know them, or know of them all. Of that group, there are maybe two in the world that can even come close to replicating something of this quality and this is most definitely NOT his (or my) work. This is the real deal, and if I had $2750.00 to drop on it, I would in a heartbeat!

This helmet will only go up in vlaue over the years. I would feel absolutely safe purchasing it. True theres no further provenance on it and true, this guy sold it on e-bay instead of AGM or Manions, but this seller also deals in tacky figurines and such, not militaria. This seller simply has no established M.O. of either buying or selling militaria much less faked helmets. This is no doubt, one of those rare cases, where this seller, while searching some retirement trailer park estate sale or neighborhood garage sales for first run cabbage patch dolls came across this and the German helemt he's also selling, both of which were most likely passed down or brought home and forgotten after the family threw out all of the vets other papers etc (and how many times a day do we hear of that happening??) Pricey, yes, but the market and demand will set the value every time. Oh, and Scott....from now on, all of my orginal painted helmets that I find in the pile will start at $2750.00........Sorry, but I've just gotta get me some of this action!

There are only a handfull of guys in the world who "fake" helmets convincingly and in any quantity whatsoever (and I include Josh Murray, Nick at Top Pots, Fred at Gordon Clan, Easy Green and I in that group) and I know them, or know of them all. Of that group, there are maybe two in the world that can even come close to replicating something of this quality and this is most definitely NOT his (or my)[oh really??? ;)] work. This is the real deal, and if I had $2750.00 to drop on it, I would in a heartbeat!

You can take this statement to the bank! Gary knows his stuff and confirms what most of us thought about this one. I ran a number by my wife today but, she wouldn't bite on the deep inner need of her husband to have this one in his collection. I even contemplated selling much of my collection to go after this one... no joke! But, with the wedding on my eldest son coming up and life being what it is, I'm standing back and am willing to let someone else have this gem. So, guys, there is now one less shark in the pond for you all to bid against! I hope someone on this forum is the winner... and that I'm in his will!

Scott....from now on, all of my original painted helmets that I find in the pile will start at $2750.00........Sorry, but I've just gotta get me some of this action!

Gary, If you get one like this, I'll go the $2750.00! I think that would be a bargain compared to what this one is going to go for. ;) Scott

Just my .02 cents, but I read the thread on the other forum as well as this one, and I think this helmet IS the real deal. Now, I am by far no helmet expert, but this thing just screams original to me. I would say that this is the rarest of the rare, and if I had that kind of bread laying around and new my wife would not divorce me for buyng it, I would be all over it. ;)

Well, we were close. Final price $5,692.00. Looks like it's going back to Italy after more than 60 years.

a italian bidder got it??? oh well--------- as i stated before------ it was a good one and like said it jumped out when i first saw it. but, to me the draw back was no marked liner to match the pot and no name and or serial number. most of my lids are matched that way and to myself it means alot. there is just no id. my red bull is--- my chaplin is, my mp is. they have docs. i will tell you the truth---- if that helmet just had the id, it would have been mine. a name or serial number can be traced to a vet which does enhance the value and cuts the bs should any one say its a hump when it comes time to sell.

I am curious to what the conversion rate is between US money and italian or Euro??To me thats what he really paid for it.

RON

I am curious to what the conversion rate is between US money and italian or Euro??To me thats what he really paid for it.

RON

does it really matter? its gone-- he has it.

A great helmet. It would be wonderful to see a group picture of this one and the finds from France that have been posted in this thread.

RON

Current Exchange rate is 1 Euro = 1.55727 USD. That translates into the bargin basement price of $3,655.11 if I'm doing my math right. Still, if I'm the American who sold it, I'm getting $5,692.00 for it and that's all that matters! As Costa stated... either way, it's still gone!

101combatvet

and what about the liner?

Yup... right before ebay pulled it. I believe earlier in this thread Costa had posted pictures of the outside of the liner that he had requested from the seller

and what about the liner?

As I stated, Costa posted pictures of the outside of the liner. Go to Post #29 on this thread and you'll see pictures of the outside of the liner and the inside of the pot.

Striking 9th

Well somebody got a killer real deal helmet. No ID, no name, no pics, does that really matter? I wonder when another REAL one looker like this will come up for sale? Maybe never? This was the best painted U.S. Helmet sold on e-bay in I don't know how long. I have seen Costa's Red Bull on a thread here. It is imo not in the same league with this one. Costa please don't get me wrong. Your RB helmet is GREAT. I really love it. This one however is in a class by itself in my mind. I don't understand the U.K. Collectors not taking advantage of the exchange rate on such a great one of a kind helmet like this one. If the situation was reversed I would have thrown down a monster bid and I don't even collect these. That one will only go up up up.

Scott

101combatvet

I could not agree more.

ok guys--- the helmet drama starts again. first off my opinion is that it is a good one. there are certain qualities of a used and abused combat lid and this one has it. but, to me as a collector of lids there are some things missing from an origional i question which to me does affect the over all price or worth. the seller states it was found in a attic with a german helmet which is listed. the german lid looks as if it was for a long time exposed to heat being the leather liner is shot. however------ if these 2 were a bring back, why not other little tid bits in the house such as pictures, letters, uniform-- get my drift?? the liner does not have any markings on it. pictures were sent to me. there is no sn and or name in the pot or liner, which many vets never took the time to do so but, in a high end item as this id would make it worth the money and a chance to do research on the vet before the auction was over. remenber the red bull i won on e-pay?? i did pay big but, i bugged the hell out of the seller for proof the lid was her realitives item and she provided the proof. id in some cases does make a big difference. there was mention from some one that the third div. vets first hand painted the insignia on the sides of the pot and later they were stenciled. to me the ones on the pot are stenciled with the clover leaf on the back hand painted. from what actual period are the markings (first and second painted)? my guess on this item is that it will command big bucks maybe more then the 5,000.00 i paid for my red bull but, for me with out id and a matched marked liner a hard decision. i do like it but, there are some qualities lacking. any one want to add to this??

I don't understand the U.K. Collectors not taking advantage of the exchange rate on such a great one of a kind helmet like this one.

Scott,

If i paid that sort of money i think my wife would have grounds for divorce - on second thought's your right. WHY didn't i go for it. :lol:

Rich

PS -Lovely helmet.