3rd division painted helmet

Guest bigred1

"I just got this helmet and a German helmet out of a local attic" True story? you think and Unsure of what the marks mean... maybe it is real w00t.gif

They sold a WWI helmet in April for $120, and a WWII German helmet for $1900. Not much else militaria wise.

So you think its a Real one? w00t.gif

Pictures boys... you gotta put up pictures or in a few weeks when this auction ends, the link will be useless because the pictures will be removed by eBay. At that time this thread will become just as useless. If we got pictures we can reference this thread for years.

For the record, I think we got a legitimate helmet here. $1100+ already with nearly 6 days left! Now let's watch the $$$$ fly! This one's rapidly moving out of my stay married price range. pinch.gif

ushelmet_1.jpg

ushelmet_2.jpg

What is the meaning of the club insignia in regards to the 3rd ID? I haven't ever seen that before.

I have a feeling the outcome of this auction might make me have some thoughts about keeping my new 3rd ID helmet... okay, probably not thumbsup.gif

What is the meaning of the club insignia in regards to the 3rd ID? I haven't ever seen that before.

I have a feeling the outcome of this auction might make me have some thoughts about keeping my new 3rd ID helmet... okay, probably not thumbsup.gif

"Troops of the 3rd inf Div board LST vessels for the invasion of southern france during 1944, their helmets embellished with "playing cards" identifications"

Thats from the book U.S Army Uniforms Of World War ll by Shelby Stanton.. it has a picturn of tons of troops with helmets with 3rd ID on the side and clover on the back. Not much is said about the markings

"Troops of the 3rd inf Div board LST vessels for the invasion of southern france during 1944, their helmets embellished with "playing cards" identifications"

Thats from the book U.S Army Uniforms Of World War ll by Shelby Stanton.. it has a picturn of tons of troops with helmets with 3rd ID on the side and clover on the back. Not much is said about the markings

I read somewhere that the markings were for the 7th Infantry Regiment and each were for a particular battalion.

1st battalion was spades

2nd was hearts and

3rd was clubs

I read somewhere that the markings were for the 7th Infantry Regiment and each were for a particular battalion.

1st battalion was spades

2nd was hearts and

3rd was clubs

Thats cool I havent ever seen a 2ed or 1st

316th FS 324th FG

I dont know enough yet about the helmets to know if the markings are real or not, but, the description is what worries me. The professed lack of understanding sure seems strange when you look at the rest of the auctions they have held they came of more sophisticated than that. SO i would be surprised if they really couldnt id the 3rd ID insignia, even if they dont do a lot of militaria.

Just my thoughts.

D

Photo left taken in berchtesgaden Joe Fournier HQ 7th still alive and well.

Photo right hearts belongs to a good friend in France. Where did you get the pic ?

Photo right hearts belongs to a good friend in France. Where did you get the pic ?

Post it once on the internet and it's there forever. ;) Actually, these pictures were posted on another forum along with the one below:

4mhilj9.jpg

ok guys--- the helmet drama starts again. first off my opinion is that it is a good one. there are certain qualities of a used and abused combat lid and this one has it. but, to me as a collector of lids there are some things missing from an origional i question which to me does affect the over all price or worth. the seller states it was found in a attic with a german helmet which is listed. the german lid looks as if it was for a long time exposed to heat being the leather liner is shot. however------ if these 2 were a bring back, why not other little tid bits in the house such as pictures, letters, uniform-- get my drift?? the liner does not have any markings on it. pictures were sent to me. there is no sn and or name in the pot or liner, which many vets never took the time to do so but, in a high end item as this id would make it worth the money and a chance to do research on the vet before the auction was over. remenber the red bull i won on e-pay?? i did pay big but, i bugged the hell out of the seller for proof the lid was her realitives item and she provided the proof. id in some cases does make a big difference. there was mention from some one that the third div. vets first hand painted the insignia on the sides of the pot and later they were stenciled. to me the ones on the pot are stenciled with the clover leaf on the back hand painted. from what actual period are the markings (first and second painted)? my guess on this item is that it will command big bucks maybe more then the 5,000.00 i paid for my red bull but, for me with out id and a matched marked liner a hard decision. i do like it but, there are some qualities lacking. any one want to add to this??

post-73-1213981978.jpg

post-73-1213982002.jpg

post-73-1213982034.jpg

Post it once on the internet and it's there forever. ;) Actually, these pictures were posted on another forum along with the one below:

Yes you are right - I was just wondering about the pics since I know the helmet! Btw here is the other side!! the other helmet with inversed blue lines is from my collection and comes from the Rhone Valley, above montelimar.

The last photo is a liner which was found in alsace - 100% original with provenance - the only interrogation I have is regarding this weird german type light apple green paint. it has White rayon webbing inside. I need your help/comments on this one!

3rd1stbat7thregcompanycon3.jpg[/

dsc06406ui2.jpg

dsc02374oy6.jpg

...The last photo is a liner which was found in alsace - 100% original with provenance - the only interrogation I have is regarding this weird german type light apple green paint. it has White rayon webbing inside. I need your help/comments on this one!

Could you give a picture of the inside of the liner? Is there a St. Clair or Hood Rubber marking inside the crown?