Barn Find Medic Steel Pot

strayduck230

strayduck230

After a tip from a buddy I drove out to an estate sale and was lucky to find this still sitting on the table. It is named and numbered on the inside. I still need to do some research on it. Looks like the outline of the 2nd Infantry Division patch in the center of the front red cross. It has three circles with the crosses in them. It's a fixed bail but straps are long gone and no liner with it. I have found some neat marked helmets over the past few years, but this one (even in this kind of shape) is one of my favorites. If I am unable to find info on the name, I will seek help from y'all here, just going to give it a go myself first. :)

post-41805-0-18435900-1407789670.jpg

strayduck230

Yes, Does look to have an NCO horizontal white stripe on the back. Thanks for the comments all! No plans to clean it up at this time. Not sure how I would do it or what I would use. Might look into some though, to preserve it the best I can.

Does the name in the helmet match the name of the estate? If so inquiries to the family my help and yield additional info and maybe some photos.

I've had great success in cleaning up storage rusr like this with a product called: Whink. You can find it in most hardware stores. It is a rust stain remover for household items. You wet the helmet, spray Whink over the whole thing, let it set for about 30 second and rinse it off. You might be very pleased with the results.

Now that's one "barn find" I would never question! Re Scott's advice above re "Whink"...I've never used it myself but I've heard about how effective it can be at removing rust stains. I'd definitely give it a whirl!

strayduck230

Took some advice and used Whink to clean it up some. Colors did brighten up a bit. Thanks for the suggestions!

post-41805-0-29101800-1407870211.jpg

strayduck230

Might give it another go. Some of the paint is pretty cracked and flaky so I am going at it with caution. If nothing else, got years of barn dust off it.

Looks great.Seeing how flaky that paint is, I would maybe only do one more treatment. Better safe than sorry.