Varangian

"Quality" of wings...how do you tell?

I've seen a couple of references to "quality", good and bad, of different wings.

I've always gone to military clothing sales, picked up what was on the rack, pin them on, and if they didn't fall off they were "good". But seeing as how I think I deserve only the very best because, well, I'm me...how do I tell a high quality pair of wings from the scummy stuff the plebes wear?

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Quality is in the Design, & Details > look for sharp Definition in details of Wing Front. Also, Different Makers: had slightly different Designs.

Any makers have consistently high quality in US Army Aviator wings?

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I've seen very little variation in the quality of insignia available through Clothing Sales. What passes for high quality there is the Sta-Brite stuff, which equates "shiny" with "high quality". I'd love to know if anyone has a source for truly high quality modern insignia.

Bill

Looking for older Virginia Military Institute items: insignia, uniforms, cadet sabers, documents, and groupings belonging to VMI alumni.

Also interested in Virginia Reserve Militia (VRM) uniforms and insignia, or other items of general Virginia interest.

I've seen very little variation in the quality of insignia available through Clothing Sales. What passes for high quality there is the Sta-Brite stuff, which equates "shiny" with "high quality". I'd love to know if anyone has a source for truly high quality modern insignia.

Bill

Isnt the formula for "quality insignia" inversly related to the amount of positive attention you can get from the girls vs the amount of negative attention you get from your superiors? Thus, the ideal insignia will maximize female attention while avoiding the scrutiny of the CO?

I think after about 1960 everything became totally uniform with almost no variations.

Patrick

Try *************** Gallery http://1903.com/productlist.asp?categoryID=55 he is a government authorized supplier, and he makes all the current stuff in sterling, it actually looks pretty good!

Paul Conrad
Still looking for quality wings!

www.conradwings.com
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

I am bored prefixing everything I say with "I think" or "in my opinion".
Everything I say is my opinion; the only thing of which I am certain is that there is very little of which one can be certain.