Reuse Of Army Fatigues/Jungle Jackets

seanmc1114

I know that one of the points that collectors usually look for in determining if a uniform, particularly a Vietnam jungle jacket, is a put together is whether there is evidence of other insignia having been on the uniform previously. But my question is whether that fact is necessarily a good indicator? Does anyone know exactly what the Army's policy was or is about recycling used uniforms? I have heard several stories about jungle jackets being stripped of insignia in Oakland when soldiers returned from Vietnam and were processed out of the Army. It seems if that was the case, then the uniforms were probably put back in the system and reused in some form or another. I understand that jungle jackets worn in the filed for days or weeks at a time by combat troops probably wouldn't be in any condition to be reused, but what about uniforms worn in rear areas, even by combat troops when they weren't in the field, which is usually the only time they were badged up anyways? Any thoughts or comments?

Spathologist

I'm not up on how they did things in the Vietnam era, but over 22 years I've changed duty stations on average every two years. Every BDU shirt I have has had insignia changed multiple times, including the wartime service SSI since I'm authorized several and I change it based on whim or current unit association.

I know that one of the points that collectors usually look for in determining if a uniform, particularly a Vietnam jungle jacket, is a put together is whether there is evidence of other insignia having been on the uniform previously. But my question is whether that fact is necessarily a good indicator? Does anyone know exactly what the Army's policy was or is about recycling used uniforms? I have heard several stories about jungle jackets being stripped of insignia in Oakland when soldiers returned from Vietnam and were processed out of the Army. It seems if that was the case, then the uniforms were probably put back in the system and reused in some form or another. I understand that jungle jackets worn in the filed for days or weeks at a time by combat troops probably wouldn't be in any condition to be reused, but what about uniforms worn in rear areas, even by combat troops when they weren't in the field, which is usually the only time they were badged up anyways? Any thoughts or comments?

Bonjour,

I found at flee market few years ago (when nobody was interested in VN stuff) or among grouping straight from the vet, jungle jackets with evidence of a or two former owners removed insignias. I pick up a jungle jacket from an USARV senior NCO with Master sgt ranks on the sleeves, however the name tape has been removed and changed from an other one. Little details the third down stripes of the subdued ranks were cut in order to custom in SFC.

Hope I could help you

Cheers

Valery

PS

Did you received my PM's about my assesment?

To all of that above, you have to add that during the VN period there was the change from full color to subdue insignia.

I have a shirt that had the name tape (full color) removed and had another added (subdue). The same name, just following regulations.

Then there is promotions etc etc.

If it is a fatigue uniform look for a laundry number as fatigues seem to nearly always have them. Jungle Jackets not nearly as much but they are sometimes named, or initialed.

In the end, the replacement of a name tag (or not) isn't the main area for proving provenience.

By the way, Stanton gives a good account of field laundry and clothing procedures in US Army Uniforms of the Vietnam War. I dint have it here so I cant tell you the page.

I was in the Army from 1968 to 1970. I was issued four or five sets of jungle fatigues in Oakland before being sent to Vietnam. When I left 'Nam in October of 1969 all but one set of fatigues was turned in to our supply room. I came home wearing the one remaining set. After coming into Oakland we were all issued new sets of dress green uniforms with a couple of ladies there sewing on the proper insignia. When I came out of the shower carrying my jungle jacket I was told to take it back and throw it in a hamper with the rest of them. This I did. You can imagine all the neat goodies in that hamper! One thing I learned in the Army was that sometimes it's better to just salute, say "yes sir", and then go ahead and do what you were going to do in the first place! I went back in the shower room and fished my jungle jacket out of the hamper and smuggled it out in my AWOL bag. I still have it today.

I have heard that the uniforms turned in at Oakland were simply burned. I have heard stories that the insignia was sometimes removed and caches of these have turned up. I am not aware of any used uniforms being reissued by our supply room in 'Nam. Possibly they were given to ARVN or other indigenous units.

I'd love to see a pic your Jungle Jacket Gunbunny if you are happy to show us. thumbsup.gif

You can blur the name tape to protect the guilty. lol

I'd love to see a pic your Jungle Jacket Gunbunny if you are happy to show us. thumbsup.gif

You can blur the name tape to protect the guilty. lol

Here you go. 'Nam made name tape with embroidered on twill Cav patch. Cap was PX item bought to wear home with 1/21st Arty insignia. In the artillery we rarely wore our jackets, just trousers, boots, and a helmet plunked on our heads when we had a fire mission. The only time we wore our jackets was when "The Brass" came poking around.

DSCN0775.jpg

Thanks very much for sharing the pic with us gunbunny. thumbsup.gif

I love seeing original "First Team" items.

Does the PX cap have elastic in the rear of the band?

Was 1/21 Arty 105 or 155?

Several years ago I worked with a man who had been a door gunner with an assualt helicopter unit.He stated that on returning home they had "orders"to leave/turn in all gear.He wanted to keep his helmet and jungle boots.He turned them in.He was told it was for the Vietnamese troops use as they would be taking over the base and or operations.Now what vietnamese could wear a size 10.5 jungle boot?? :huh:

RON