Fake Balloon Wing

rustywings

Currently listed on ebay (#281408610018) and receiving a lot of early attention. Opinions? (I have no connection with this listing.)

$_574a.jpg

Currently listed on ebay (#281408610018) and receiving a lot of early attention. Opinions? (I have no connection with this listing.)

In my humble opinion I believe these to be a complete fake. This particular style of feathering started showing up in the mid 80's and is suspected to be coming out of Florida. You find this in both the pilot and aeronaut wings and there have been an abundance of them showing up over the years. The US appears to be brass which is usually a dead giveaway for a fake piece. Sterling wings sold for about $3.50 in 1918, gold was extremely cheap as was silver so to use brass for the US was not heard of and in my opinion would not have been purchased by a aviator or aeronaut. Until I can find some provenance or a period picture of this being worn I will remain suspect and wouldn't waste my money on it. This of course is my personal opinion and there are some collectors with considerable more knowledge than me out there so perhaps they can chime in.

Terry

I really do not know much about these ww1 period wings, was the use of these screw back post used often, most of the ones I have seen are pin back, or sown on the uniforms. These screw post look more like the style used during ww2 just more thought

I really do not know much about these ww1 period wings, was the use of these screw back post used often, most of the ones I have seen are pin back, or sown on the uniforms. These screw post look more like the style used during ww2 just more thought

A couple WW1 mfg used the screw post attachment on their wings but the pin back was most common after the sew on version. Dunham. Dibb and Linz were ones that comes to mind that varied between the pin back and screw post.

Terry

I think Terry has posted the basic truth of this and other wings like it. If you spend any time on Ebay you will see these types of wings on a regular basis. I am happy that Russ posted this because so many folks get taken by these it is sad.

This reminds me of all the Aussie wings that were perfect and in all the letter wings...

Cheers

John

Thank you for the tip Russ.

Newer collectors (and some of us older ones too :lol:) would do well to frequently visit the pinned thread at the top of this page, "Examples of Fake Fantasy & Reproduction Wings," in order to educate ourselves or develop a better "6th sense" for identifying some of the more common flaws seen on fakes to keep from being lured into buy a questionable badge.

As an example. In the thread there are a number of fake balloon wings shown that were actually made by the same individual who made the one currently on eBay. His method of fashioning the balloon envelope and its basket (and a few of the wings) are some of his more common trademarks.

Cliff

post-4542-0-13271000-1407856513.jpg