M1881 helmet basic questions

Hello !

I'm looking for answers to some basic (obvious ?) questions about the M1881 helmet. I know why there is helmet with spike (foot troops) and helmet with plumed top (mounted troops). But please can anyone could tell me :

- why there is plate with regimental number and plate without regimental number ?

- why there is helmet with cords and helmet without cords ?

- why the is side buttons with hook and side buttons without hook ?

Thanks for any help.

Sure:

1. All plates would have had numerals for the regiment except speciality branches. If they were cavalry, infantry, or artillery; any issued item would have a number with it.

2. The cords are suspension cords and breastcords. They are for mounted helmets (those with plumes and on horseback) only. These included enlisted Field Artillery and Cavalry troops. All Field Grade Officers were also mounted, so you can see mounted infantry helmets. Bandsmen were a special breed. You could find enlisted white infantry bandsmen plumes because band uniforms were left up to the regimental commander.

3. Side buttons with the hook are for officers, because they used chin chains. Enlisted buttons are without the hook because the leather chinstrap is held on underneath. Note the attached officer's helmet with chin chain.

v/r

Wolfpost-153900-0-72009300-1407703567.jpgpost-153900-0-72009300-1407703567.jpg

Not all inclusive-- here were others like the signal corps enlisted, too, but I just wanted to paint the broad strokes .

Many thanks for your reply. The M1881 helmet regulation looks a bit complicated to me.

So :

1. If the plate (infantry, cavalry or artillery) has no regimental number, that's because the helmet was unissued ?

2. I have seen pictures of helmets with differents cords holders (shield with hook or button with ring). Is it just a different model for mounted troops ?

3. On your picture, the officer chin chain seems to be attached by the rear cord holder and one side button with hook. No cord on the rear cold holder ?

1. Likely, yes. A lot of the ones you see sold are surplus added to helmets. There are few and far between unmessed with enlisted helmets. Officers more so because they were private purchase and they took them home.

2. It depends. Typically, officers had the shield hook for attaching the cords. However, there are select manufacturers that used different methods. The typically enlisted method was the cord rings. Dismounted troops would have never had cords.

3. The rear shield hook is used to secure the chin chain instead of the right (as worn) button when not mounted or in a need to have the chin chain really holding the helmet down. Both buttons have loops--the left side (as worn) is bent closed, and the right side left open, so that the chin chain can be attached.

A side note-- regulations have always been...just guidelines. This is just the basics, but you can see that there is a lot of variation out there, and it is perfectly legitimate a lot of the time. Officers have never stuck to a strict regulation in uniforms....even now, when we are most regulated and closest to being uniform.

v/r

Wolf

Thank you again for the details ! I found too many examples in pictures and it clearly help me to find my way through that jungle of variations.

The cords system itself is a great subject of questions, as I don't see all the differences between helmet cords and tunic cords (maybe ones improperly used for the others).

The helmet suspension cords and the breastcords for officers were two separate pieces. Some enlisted separated them as well. Many of the helmets you see for sale have 1902 breastcords put on them in place of real triple braided helmet cords--because the seller doesn't have real cords or doesn't know.