US Navy A/P23P-14 Bio-Chemical Mask and Helmet

Bluespicker

Bluespicker

It is a lot like Christmas around here as I dig into boxes in the store room. I am a software developer/consultant and spend most of my time on the road. I used to buy a lot of things on EBAY but when I got home, I never had time to do much with my purchases. One such purchase is this US Navy HGU-84 and British Made Bio-Chemical Mask. The mask is officially detailed in NAVAIR 13-1-6.10 and is called the A/P23P-14A. There are two versions: one for use on planes equipped with oxygen masks and one for use by helicopter crews. This is the non-oxygen mask variety. I think this is mostly a British "Q" mask updated for Bio-Chemical use and I have seen these called an AR-5)?).

I am trying to find the hardware to attach this mask to the helmet. From what I have been able to determine: the pull-the-dot snaps are installed as on an HGU-55/P; a green cloth strap is then snapped to this and the other end of the strap has the hardware to mate with the retention device on the mask. Anyone have some decent photos of this connection I would appreciate it and I am looking for strap side hardware.

post-153154-0-98159200-1407599778.jpg

post-153154-0-59896400-1407599804.jpg

Funny your looking for the hardware kit, a seller on eBay is selling them. I bought 2 sets. Look up gentex cbr on there, that should find them.

Bluespicker

The item just wasn't coming up in my searches. That is the exact kit I was looking for and I just got two of them. Thanks

The mounting instructions for that hardware kit are pretty simple. I was expecting there to be a template where to drill for the snaps. Its basically a custom fit positioning like bayonet receivers.

What gives with your 84/P lacking the NVG mount base in the front?

I passed on several of these masks trying to stick with Army related stuff, and now I'm wanting one, I guess thats how it goes. Figured while I saw the hardware kits, I better get that before its too late and then they cost 30 bucks 5 years from now at a dealer.

I know most people think its crazy but for the few years I have been on the road as a software development consultant. That means: 1- I have too much spare time in hotel rooms and as a result, bought a lot of stuff; 2- when I got home, I didn't have much time to tinker with my purchases. I have been home for a while and going through my storage room and found the green box with the mask (which may be a straight up British AR5). The HGU-84/P is a medium and has the integrated chin/nape strap, no communications but it did have the NVG clear visor on with the step-in(?) lens. I think this is an older helmet that uses the Cats Eye system with the Three point mounting bracket MX-810? This would be like late 1980s like that used on the HGU-66/P. Going from memory here so I am probably not getting the numbers etc. correct. You have anything on this puppy?

Funny you mention the cats eye system, I now see the mounting holes in the shell for that style setup apparently. Didnt even notice that before as I was fixed on looking in the spot where the ANVIS type mount would dock. I wish I did have more info on it, That is a marked 84/P Helmet? Id guess that they used the old NVG system when that helmet first came out as my best guess. Otherwise Id think its that other fixed wing helmet like AV-8 and F/A-18 guys wore with the Cats eye system.

Im not too up to snuff on Navy Marine stuff, especially helmets as there are so many variations and designations for helmets that start off with a common shell. Crazy browsing through the NAVAIR manuals over the years on helmets and masks.