USMC Advisor to the Republic of China.

irish

These vehicles plaques are part of a grouping belonging to a retired U.S. Marine Colonel. During the early Vietnam war era he was an Advisor to the Taiwanese Marine Corps. These are the vehicle ID signs that he had at different times attached to his Jeep. As you can see the Taiwanese Marine Corps emblem was heavily influenced by the USMC EGA emblem.

post-758-0-59085200-1407595912.jpg

They would have been attached with screws and bolts to the bumper and or grille. These I have attached to a piece of wood using the same holes. This officer was active in the advisory effort when Chiang Kai Shek was still around.

He was also the commander of the Marine Det aboard the USS Indianapolis, however was transferred to other duty in late 43 or early 44

Lastly this photo from TV show Gomer Pyle USMC. Colonel White is on the right.

I beleive this show was for a time shot at the Marine Recruit Depot San Diego, correct me if this is wrong. A good friend of mine was going through boot camp at the time that theTV show or it's trailer was being shot at the Recruit Depot. He remembered the first time he marched past a filming "he did not know this was a TV show at the time" all he could think was when seeing Gomer Pyle was what a messed up troop he looked like and the hell he would catch before graduating.

post-758-0-48326800-1407624965.jpg

Nice finds! That John Glenn autographed photo is cool in it's own right but it really shows that Colonel White really got around and had some important friends.

Thanks for sharing.

Great grouping. Any uniforms with it? Really nice John Glenn photo.A couple ex-Irish collection items found there way in to my collection recently. Mark

Lastly this photo from TV show Gomer Pyle USMC. Colonel White is on the right.

I beleive this show was for a time shot at the Marine Recruit Depot San Diego, correct me if this is wrong. A good friend of mine was going through boot camp at the time that theTV show or it's trailer was being shot at the Recruit Depot. He remembered the first time he marched past a filming "he did not know this was a TV show at the time" all he could think was when seeing Gomer Pyle was what a messed up troop he looked like and the hell he would catch before graduating.

Gotta love Gomer Pyle USMC! Very interesting they allowed it to actually be filmed at MCRD San Diego

Great Items!!

Very cool grouping.Never really paid to much attention to the Taiwanese Marine insignia before.Cool to see the USMC has the western hemisphere and the TMC has asia.never really noticed it before.

Does anybody now what Operation Surprise was.Look's like thats whats on the flags with Gunny Carter

Very cool grouping.Never really paid to much attention to the Taiwanese Marine insignia before.Cool to see the USMC has the western hemisphere and the TMC has asia.never really noticed it before.

Does anybody now what Operation Surprise was.Look's like thats whats on the flags with Gunny Carter

I had always thought it might say operation enterprise.