N.S. Meyer Fake EGA

Schnicklfritz

Schnicklfritz

Well, I was excited to pick this up on Ebay recently. But now that I have it in hand, I believe this is a newer fake EGA of the N. S. Meyer style. Pretty good one. Compared it to one of my known originals. It looks spot on. Just some things about it I don't like. What are your opinions???

post-115-0-89168900-1407595645.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

M, a legit emblem... I have both dress and service types and they are identical in all facets. A most handsome emblem, one of my favorites. s/f D.

Schnicklfritz

Well, I guess I'm getting a little too paranoid with my old age! Lol... It looked a little too good to be true. This is the first Meyer Service emblem I have gotten. I compared it to a fake I had and thought it was "updated" with the correct post instead of the bar with a post style. The nut is different than the other Meyer dress emblems I have, but those could be just a difference in timeframe. The finish didn't look right in hand either. Perhaps it was the lighting I am in. The maker mark looks better in these photos too.

I didn't see any major red flags with it. I have 5 or 6 versions of this in service and dress, and all of them have a cross bar on the rear with the screwpost attached to it. That was the only oddity, but felt it was just another variant. A couple of mine have the dark rollers like that one.

Schnicklfritz

Here is the original discussion on the forum about the repro Meyer EGA:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19919-warning-new-counterfeit-alert/

The one pictured here at the beginning of this thread came from the same source, mrmac, also now known as ebayer<<< won't let me list his ebay Id>>> on Ebay... here is the link for the auction;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181478568326?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I did not know he was the source til I received the invoice with his email address on it. Hopefully I am just being paranoid from seeing who it came from, but as you can see in the link, the repro is a pretty good one. Darrel states that this hallmark was not used on this particular EGA at the beginning of the linked thread. So, I'm still a bit doubtful if that is true.... I have some concerns that the "aging" that you see on the rear of the EGA is artificially produced, look at post #4 and see what you think.

I have 5 variants of this emblem in my collection...2 service, 3 dress. 1 of the service has that style hallmark, most of the finish is long gone. Mine is lacking the stabilizing pin...appears to never have had it. The cross bar on the rear snapped off and somebody soldered a post in there. I did not acquire mine on eBay or at a show

101_6381.JPG

101_6382.JPG

rather, 6 variants... http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/159966-finely-detailed-meyers-variants/

I also have a dress emblem with the exact same hallmark, however the crossbar is still there. With all my variants, this is the only one that has some extra texture on the anchor, as circled below. Yours, however, has a stabilizing pin...something that fakers tend to omit

I didn't know this guy was MrMac...the Indyestateauctions has been selling a mix of good and newer stuff for awhile, under the usual claim of selling a large collection.

101_6381.JPG

... I didn't know this guy was MrMac...the Indyestateauctions has been selling a mix of good and newer stuff for awhile, under the usual claim of selling a large collection.

That's good to know, as I was unaware as well.

Tim