Show Your DCUs

Sbas

everforward

One rule of thumb, at least in my experience in all of my collecting, is this:

While there are regulations, there usually are NO absolutes....... :thumbsup: and here's my thumb!

Back to regular programming.. :lol:

Okay....I talked to the Ebay seller on the telephone and the other guy who is selling me the other Stumpf DCU with Civil Affairs collar insignia via email. General concensus...the Stumpf DCU's came from the San Antonio Busby Flea Market. The guy who was selling them, sold them off over a few week period. The flea market dealer sold these jackets originally for $7 a piece. The seller said that along with the Stumpf DCU's came a large amount of field manuals for tanks, guns, mechanics, etc. With the Stumpf lot were also some theatre made insignia and patches. Ebay seller told me that the theatre made insignia was mainly theatre and support command patches, flags, etc. Also there was a ACU West German jumpwings with velcro backing. That one sold on Ebay recently.

As to why the different collar insignia, Ebay seller swears that everything is original as he got it. Don't know why a flea market seller would make up a DCU like this and then sell it for $7. I'll keep you all posted when I hear more.

Arch

p.s. Thanks to all of this....I was able to get two named 1st Armored Division Sgt.'s DCU's with CIB. :thumbsup:

Mercenary25

Indeed, Stumpf DCUs are strange.... That practically got me "stumped". :lol: Maybe someone here who was in military or well-knowledge could shine light on why Stumpf had several different collar insignias. :think:

Arch, please post your 1st AD DCUs!

70 pages to go before hitting 100 page mark. :D

HoovieDude

It is an interesting matter. May the good Lt Col did it on purpose, knowing the row it would cause among those who collect? And is now following the thread, rolling on the floor, busting a gut laughing so hard :lol:

Mercenary25

My 1st AD grouping, all named to Liddle.

DSCF3916.jpg

Two "Smith" 1st AD DCUs.

DSCF3920.jpg

The Liddle DCUs were found in the same store but different trips! I was fortunate enough to gather and keep them together.

Guys....I have checked the collar insignia and can see no ghost lines where a Civil Affairs insig ever was sewn on. Civil Affairs collar insignia would go vertical, where as MP would go more horizontal (not as tall). This appears to have had the same collar insignia it's entire life. All the buttons on the pockets have been taken off, velcro added to one pocket, and all the pockets tacked down on the edges. It is definitely a used jacket. It has been starched and also has some staining to the front. Like Merc...this one has me "stumped" as well.

All the insignia appears to have been on the jacket for some time. You can see imprints of the insignia on the back of the jacket where it has been sewn. :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think:

Nkomo, i purchased a "Stumpf" DCU similar to yours directly from the Flea market in Shertz,Texas. The same town as the ebay seller. I paid 4 dollars for mine. I will post it tonight to see what branch it is. I can tell you the seller i purchased mine from is not a militaria seller but a flea market seller who brings in military items from time to time. I doubt the Flea market seller is the same as the ebay seller.Interesting DCU's discussion i just hung mine in the closet with the other 20 or so DCU's :w00t:

Legion,

Can't wait to see your Stumpf DCU. The seller who contacted me about buying another of Stumpf DCU's showed me two DCU's he sold to a collector in Italy. One of those had Artillery collar insignia and one of the jackets also had some sort of theatre support command patch on the left side. Very interesting.

Ok here are three DCU's including the Stumpf. All three DCU's purchased at the flea market by the same seller.The seller had a table full of DCU's. I asked him about the Stumph DCU's if he had any more and he told me he sold about three or four a couple of hours before i got there...

post-3204-1275623379.jpg

Ok here are three DCU's including the Stumpf. All three DCU's purchased at the flea market by the same seller.The seller had a table full of DCU's. I asked him about the Stumph DCU's if he had any more and he told me he sold about three or four a couple of hours before i got there...

Thanks for posting your DCU's, especially the Stumpf one. Looks like yours has the Artillery collar insignia. Interesting.

HoovieDude

Maybe, just maybe, there were three Stumpf's, born as triplets. All through their young and tender lives, they were inseparable.All three went to West Point, graduated and commissioned as ossifers in the US Army. But their luck ran out at that point and one was branched FA, one MP corps and the last as CA. A few years later, while all three were stationed overseas, they went thru the same joint training and earned their foreign jump wings, and THEN, years later, they were all coincidentally assigned to CENTCOM. When it was time to retire, they all happened to be stationed together once again, and they all went out celebrating after tossing their DCU's in the dumpster, where they were subsequently found and entered their way into the buying/selling cycle of collecting? ;)

everforward
Maybe, just maybe, there were three Stumpf's, born as triplets. All through their young and tender lives, they were inseparable.All three went to West Point, graduated and commissioned as ossifers in the US Army. But their luck ran out at that point and one was branched FA, one MP corps and the last as CA. A few years later, while all three were stationed overseas, they went thru the same joint training and earned their foreign jump wings, and THEN, years later, they were all coincidentally assigned to CENTCOM. When it was time to retire, they all happened to be stationed together once again, and they all went out celebrating after tossing their DCU's in the dumpster, where they were subsequently found and entered their way into the buying/selling cycle of collecting? ;)

:lol::lol::lol: Quite a prolific family..!!

Arch, my gut is that these DCUs are legit...it would just take too much time to sit back and sew all that stuff on them for what they sold for in the 1st place....

LOL! :lol::lol:

A recent thrift shop pick-up. A named US NAVY Captain with surface warfare, command ashore, and Divers badges. X-Large too.

post-2091-1275669216.jpg

HoovieDude

Suppose I might as well play. In addition to the set I have shown with my display, and the set sent to Steve, here are the remainder of mine....

DSC01077.jpg

DSC01078.jpg

ABNRANGER1-75

Nice in-country made airborne and air assault wings! Very nice find!

Found this unusual named DCU in a Thrift Shop today. It is for a US Contractor. The desert colored patch (although I wouldn't really call it subdued) is for NAVSEA Dahlgren. The blouse is PX bought. Has mfg logoed tag along with the military style ones.

post-2091-1276288154.jpg