Show Your DCUs

Sbas

Okay, I have a question for y'all...probably an obvious answer to this but at any rate I don't know, LOL...

Why is it on some of the DCUs pictured that some have larger collars that others...???

Finally got 173rd DCU.... sorta. I still keep a look out for 173rd patch on current unit side. This guy is former 173rd. I don't think he jumped in early OIF because if he did, he would have combat jump badge instead of jump badge.

Can anyone tell me what is his currently unit? I forgot which division it is.

dscf3619.jpg

Modified DCU.

dscf3621.jpg

316th FS 324th FG
Finally got 173rd DCU.... sorta. I still keep a look out for 173rd patch on current unit side. This guy is former 173rd. I don't think he jumped in early OIF because if he did, he would have combat jump badge instead of jump badge.

Can anyone tell me what is his currently unit? I forgot which division it is.

dscf3619.jpg

Modified DCU.

dscf3621.jpg

Thats the 13th ESC

Thats the 13th ESC

Thanks for reply. I was aware that this is 13th but I typed it in as Infantry Division which is reason I didn't get result. :lol:

Also, it bears repeating that BDU's and DCU's, in the interests of homeland security, have no longer been sold to the public by DRMO for a couple years now. I don't know if they would start selling them again, decades from now, but I doubt it; I also have heard that the ones they have are being destroyed.

This means that the only ones you'll get are the ones brought back by veterans and/or those in thrift stores or surplus stores. It seems to me that the stores (excluding ones right next to military bases) have already dried up.

Also, it bears repeating that BDU's and DCU's, in the interests of homeland security, have no longer been sold to the public by DRMO for a couple years now. I don't know if they would start selling them again, decades from now, but I doubt it; I also have heard that the ones they have are being destroyed.

This means that the only ones you'll get are the ones brought back by veterans and/or those in thrift stores or surplus stores. It seems to me that the stores (excluding ones right next to military bases) have already dried up.

You are correct about the DRMO stopping sales of these uniforms. They are not being surplused at this time. I have a picture I cut out of Time magazine a few months ago and it shows a female soldier throwing uniforms into a huge burn pile in Iraq. I'd post it here, but am afraid of copyright issues.

Honestly...the surplus shops I frequent around the bases have been having fewer and fewer DCU's over the past year or two. The surplus shops in my local area very rarely get DCU's in anymore. Still doesn't deter me from looking though.

Obviously, the DRMO situation has put a dent in the number of DCU's being avaliable at these places, however I think collectors and non-collectors are catching on to DCU's. Good case and point was what happened to me yesterday at Goodwill. I went into a Goodwill near one of my local bases and went to the uniform rack to peruse the camo. I found five very nice patched and named DCU's (3rd ACR, 1st Cav, and 4th ID). As I was pulling these off the shelf and old lady comes tearing around the corner and GRABS the last DCU. When she looks it over and sees that it was stripped of all insgnia...she gives me this very dirty look. I just walked away thankful I was there 30 seconds before she was.

I'm fairly sure she wasn't a collector of DCU's, so that means she was probably there to snatch the uniforms to resell in a shop or on the internet. That means that non-collectors are looking for DCU's as well. So....non-collectors and collectors are looking for DCU's. No wonder they are drying up. :blink:

A

I think that if you will show the picture with attempt to the copyright, you can do it if you refer to the magazine ; so write name of the magazine, page, name of the author, title of article and date of publication. With that, there's no problem I think !

Here's one picture showing the "burning of uniforms" ( :o:( :crybaby:) ;

080310-f-5957s-913.jpg

Senior Airman Frances Gavalis tosses unserviceable military uniform items into a burn pit at Balad Air Base, Iraq, March 10. Clothing items turned in must be burned to ensure they cannot be used by opposing forces. Airman Gavalis is deployed from Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M. (U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Julianne Showalter)

find on : http://www.warisboring.com/?cat=55

I think that if you will show the picture with attempt to the copyright, you can do it if you refer to the magazine ; so write name of the magazine, page, name of the author, title of article and date of publication. With that, there's no problem I think !

Here's one picture showing the "burning of uniforms" ( :o:( :crybaby:) ;

080310-f-5957s-913.jpg

Senior Airman Frances Gavalis tosses unserviceable military uniform items into a burn pit at Balad Air Base, Iraq, March 10. Clothing items turned in must be burned to ensure they cannot be used by opposing forces. Airman Gavalis is deployed from Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M. (U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Julianne Showalter)

find on : http://www.warisboring.com/?cat=55

THAT IS THE PICTURE I WAS REFERRING TO!!! Thanks for posting it P-E!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My Daughter did not burn her uniforms . She brought them back and gave them to me. She was a Combat Medic with the 4th ID and did two tours of Iraq. I have her Helmet she wore over there and the helmet she wore in basic.

Charlie

I may have missed it, but I have not seen any female uniforms on this thread yet. This one was given to me by the vet, a nurse that I worked with at the VA. She was over there during 2003 and 2004, serving first in Kuwait and then in Iraq. She was located at Abu Ghraib at the hospital near the prison. I will post more about her and provide better photos in a seperate thread.

post-203-1262572542.jpg

post-203-1262572549.jpg

ID'd 3rd ID Staff Sgt. DCU with patched MICH/ACH cover. Notice the vlecro modifications to both sleeves. One appears to be for a US flag and one for an IR square. Helmet cover has two 3rd ID patches on each side. That is a total of 4 3rd ID patches on the cover.

011.JPG

008.JPG

Photograph of the same soldier above when he was in Iraq. This is during OIF III when the 3rd ID took over from the 1-8 Cav.

coffelt.jpg

USAF Honor Guard shirt ,sadly it is stripped , but I think this one I may restore rank and tapes too .

Look like theater made patch and badge, And Pockets sewn up in the tradition of the Honor Guards.

USAFhonorG1.JPG

USAFhonorG2.JPG

USAFhonorG3.JPG

ID'd 3rd ID Staff Sgt. DCU with patched MICH/ACH cover. Notice the vlecro modifications to both sleeves. One appears to be for a US flag and one for an IR square. Helmet cover has two 3rd ID patches on each side. That is a total of 4 3rd ID patches on the cover.

How hard is it to find the velcro IR tabs to put back on the DCUs that had them..? I need a couple of the postage-stamp sized ones....

How hard is it to find the velcro IR tabs to put back on the DCUs that had them..? I need a couple of the postage-stamp sized ones....

To be honest....in all my travels to the various bases and surplus shops, I have never found any. I am a notorius scrounger and dig through even the junkiest of piles and I still haven't found any.