Show Your DCUs

Sbas

I found this DCU in a thrift store a few weeks ago, it was priced pretty cheap so I couldn't pass it up but unfortunately I can not find any info on the combat patch. I have tried several sites to include google and wikipedia but so far nothing.

Can anybody ID the patch? The DCU is a very early 1990, 50-50% cotton nylon non ripstop material.

post-138122-0-95323100-1475980283_thumb.jpg

post-138122-0-61637700-1475980298_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that bit of information, it helps. According to Wikipedia this unit deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan. If so, did this group fall under a much larger unit while in both theater of operations?

Thanks for that bit of information, it helps. According to Wikipedia this unit deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan. If so, did this group fall under a much larger unit while in both theater of operations?

Elements of the 49th QM Gp served in Afghanistan, Iraq and Kuwait throughout the desert uniform period. It had the Army's only two active Mortuary Affairs units which had detachments see frequent deployments into theater.

The 49th Quartermaster Group was activated in 1993 based on lessons learned from the abysmal failure to establish a tactical military pipeline from Saudi Arabia to Kuwait during Desert Storm. During the early days Operation Iraqi Freedom the 49th established 220 miles of tactical Inland Petroleum Distribution System (IPDS) pipeline that ran from Camp Virginia, Kuwait into southern Iraq. Pipeline pump-stations inside Iraq that ensured the flow of fuel became mini-fortifications to repel Iraq attacks on both the pump-stations and pipeline. During the first months of the war in 2003 the 49th Group provided more than 90 million gallons of fuel to the battlefield, of which more 60 million gallons were pushed via IPDS fulfilling the 49th's motto of "Fueling the Force."

This unit was inactivated at Fort Lee, VA in 2012.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's one from the Navy. This is on the rack at a local thrift store: I thought it was at least worth a photo even if I didn't buy it. It's from a Navy Master Chief Petty Officer (equal to Army and Marine Sgt. Major) and has the diver badge. The name is easy to find on Google and it turns out his rating was corpsman. He held the assignment, "Force Senior Enlisted Medical Advisor Naval Special Warfare Command."

1.jpg

2.jpg

$13 isn't reasonable?

We posted at the same time, I didn't see the price. It's not a bad price, especially for a DCU that can be identified to an individual.

This particular thrift store has several linear feet of camos, mostly DCU's, on a rack. Lately most have been new with tags, so it's a novelty to see one that can tell you a story.

Bob, That's impressive, I remember those days of plentiful DCU about 3-4 years ago at thrift shops in central Virginia that were in the $3-$5 range. I picked up many Navy DCUs, several of which I used in our upcoming book "Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces" like the ones shown below. Now is the time to collect them, in a few years they may be much more difficult to find. Kevin

31268001601_56018d1bf7_c.jpg

BDU_Burger_Lover

Here is an interesting one I picked up. Cant make out the name that was there, anyone know who this could have been?

That's a very interesting one indeed! Any idea as to what is the badge worn below the Army Parachutist Badge? And what would have been worn between that and the US Army tape?

That's a very interesting one indeed! Any idea as to what is the badge worn below the Army Parachutist Badge? And what would have been worn between that and the US Army tape?

It looks like the Navy and Marine Corps Parachutist Insignia As for the missing badge the only Army badge I can think of that is that large is the Parachute Rigger Badge.

It looks like the Navy and Marine Corps Parachutist Insignia As for the missing badge the only Army badge I can think of that is that large is the Parachute Rigger Badge.

CIB? Maybe he reclassed....

Hi all, I would like to share with you my DCUs.

The first one is dated 1990, it is the first version in non-ripstop material, with the large elvis collar and without the reinforcement on the elbows. It belonged to an LT in the first battalion, 504 PIR, 82nd division as you can see from the collar crossed rifle. I believe that it could have been worned during desert storm in 1991. Any opinion is more than welcome about this

I tried to find the name of the LT but without any luck.

It also has two velcro squared for the IR material but when I bought it only one IR squared was in one pocket.

post-164393-0-46145600-1481479521_thumb.jpg

post-164393-0-26272100-1481479571.jpg

My second DCU is dated 2003, it is made by the classic rip-stop material and belonged to a ranger LT in the 2nd battalion, 7th cavalry regiment, 1st cavalry division. I believe that the LT was prior enlisted due to the drill sergeant patch and also the master parachutist patch and the CIB second award. My opinion is that he obtained the 2 CIB during desert storm and during OIF.

I believe that the DCU could have been worned during the 2004 deployment of the 2-7 cavalry in Iraq.

What I found odd in this DCU is that the drill sergeant patch is sewned so that the pocket is closed and not usable. Someone can tell me if this is a known practice or not?

Any opinion in general about the DCU is welcome.

post-164393-0-72571400-1481480696.jpg

post-164393-0-92815200-1481480710.jpg