Show Your DCUs

Sbas

Airborne medical brigade:

attachicon.gif1.jpg

Bob, It's the 44th Medical Brigade which supported the XVIII Airborne Corps. For me DCU Field Jackets are a bit like WWII overcoats, they are nice, but take up so much space that one or two examples is about as many and I can handle. Kevin

MilitaryPicker1941

Here's a new SF DCU I just picked up recently. Unfortunately the jacket is missing the English/ Arabic name tapes, one qualification badge, and the rank insignia. On the plus side it has a theatre made SF patch w/ airborne tab, AMC patch w/ SF tab, qualification badges, and the one US made patch is the army tape which appears to have been dyed tan. Thanks for looking

Noah

post-111785-0-22052800-1473450741_thumb.jpg

USMarineCorps

Here's a new SF DCU I just picked up recently. Unfortunately the jacket is missing the English/ Arabic name tapes, one qualification badge, and the rank insignia. On the plus side it has a theatre made SF patch w/ airborne tab, AMC patch w/ SF tab, qualification badges, and the one US made patch is the army tape which appears to have been dyed tan. Thanks for looking

Noah

Noah,

You know how to pick them up, don't you? First the ASF patches and know this?! Tell me your secret...

Noah, Those are some great DBDUs, DCUs, especially the last one with the theater made Army Material Command and Special Forces patches. Possibly worn by someone who was working at the US Army Natick Soldier Systems Center (aka Natick Labs) which tested uniforms and personal equipment in all environments.

If you are not a member of our Facebook group, I encourage you to join and share your photos there as well:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/DesertUniform

Kevin

MilitaryPicker1941

Noah,

You know how to pick them up, don't you? First the ASF patches and know this?! Tell me your secret...

Lol! I've been getting pretty lucky lately. I also have a couple of desert air crew jackets that should be coming in the mail today, and one of them has a pretty nice hand-guided 10th Mountain division patch on it (been looking for a DCU one for awhile now).

MilitaryPicker1941

Noah, Those are some great DBDUs, DCUs, especially the last one with the theater made Army Material Command and Special Forces patches. Possibly worn by someone who was working at the US Army Natick Soldier Systems Center (aka Natick Labs) which tested uniforms and personal equipment in all environments.

If you are not a member of our Facebook group, I encourage you to join and share your photos there as well:

[url=http://www.facebook.com/groups/DesertUniform]http://www.facebook.com/groups/DesertUniform[/ur]

Kevin

That's a cool possibility that I didn't even think of! Really awesome and informative Facebook group by the way. I don't have any social media right now, but if I make a FB account I'll be sure to join it.

P.S.

I'm planning on pre-ordering your book very soon!

That's a cool possibility that I didn't even think of! Really awesome and informative Facebook group by the way. I don't have any social media right now, but if I make a FB account I'll be sure to join it.

P.S.

I'm planning on pre-ordering your book very soon!

Thanks much. We set it up the FB group to advertise "Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces" and its turned out to be much more than that. Desert uniform and patch collectors World-wide came out of the shadows and started posting some amazing uniforms and insignia. Not a week goes by without seeing some truly amazing DBBUs, DCUs or hand guided patches that someone just found in a thrift shop or flea market or had in storage for a decade or more.

1st Logistical Command

355fg, That's a nice 6-color DBDU with what we affectionately call the "leaning outhouse" or "leaning s**thouse" patch. Some have said that the entire 1st Corps Support Command (COSCOM) wore the Airborne tab, but only selected units within the command were authorized to wear the tab, such as the rigger companies. Your uniform is a perfect example of this. One support battalion in the 1st COSCOM even had the motto, "Superlegs Can Do" to reflect their non-airborne "leg" status.

Left pocket missing one qualification badge (does anyone have any guesses?)

It would have to be either Air Assault, HALO, or Scuba. Those are really the only ones that would fit based on order of precedence. My money is actually on HALO, though, based on the spacing; that Pathfinder is pretty far off to the side, and HALO is a big-ish badge. It looks like too much room on the pocket to be AA or Scuba.

EDIT: Technically I guess it could be a Rigger badge, but you don't see many SF guys with Rigger badges.

It would have to be either Air Assault, HALO, or Scuba. Those are really the only ones that would fit based on order of precedence. My money is actually on HALO, though, based on the spacing; that Pathfinder is pretty far off to the side, and HALO is a big-ish badge. It looks like too much room on the pocket to be AA or Scuba.

EDIT: Technically I guess it could be a Rigger badge, but you don't see many SF guys with Rigger badges.

I tend to agree with Turko. Without seeing the contract date, I'm assuming the uniform was worn in the 1990s. The Military Free Fall Parachute Badge was authorized locally in 1994 by the US Army Special Operations Command, it wasn't approved for Army-wide use until 1997. Which means that a soldier would have been required to take it off of his uniform when assigned outside USASOC. So it's quite possible he removed it when he was assigned to the Army Materiel Command (AMC).

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't posted any DCU jackets in a while, but I thought this was in interesting example. Picked this up at a gun show back in January.

US Army NATO patched DCU from the LTC's 2005 deployment to Iraq as a NATO advisor assigned to Multi-National Force Iraq (MNF-I). He later served as an instructor at the Command and General Staff college in Leavenworth, which is likely how the jacket found its way to Kansas.

post-11320-0-64632400-1475724584_thumb.jpg