Show Your DCUs

Sbas

DaveM, Welcome to the USMF, are you the same Dave that was collecting East German uniforms, insignia and Zeiss binos a few years back? I'm still collecting East German as well as US DCUs and DBDUs.

Hey Kevin, that's me...

The DCU bug has bitten many!

Cheers,

Dave

Dave, indeed it has. I have a few hundred DCUs, nearly a thousand patches and just completed a book on desert uniforms and patches with fellow forum member CW4AFB. It will be out next year.

Keep me posted on the book Kevin...

Another Swabbie

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Will do Dave. That's an early Navy DCU with the "Army style" woven name tapes. The Navy later adopted distinctive fabric name tapes that were made of the same material as their qualification badges. We will have chapters on all of the US Armed Forces in the Desert book, to include the Coast Guard.

Here is a good example of the later fabric Navy style name tape on an Seabee Senior Chief Petty Officer (E-8) uniform from my collection. The Navy wore the DCU through about 2012, that's probably why so many of them have surfaced in recent years.

18666477476_df134b5fbb_b.jpg

Just got this US Navy Chocolate Chip jacket with a United Nations patch on the right sleeve. This jacket has a 1990 contract date. Any thoughts on where this could have been worn?? Possibly Somalia??

post-10825-0-67196100-1450034046.jpeg

Just got this US Navy Chocolate Chip jacket with a United Nations patch on the right sleeve. This jacket has a 1990 contract date. Any thoughts on where this could have been worn?? Possibly Somalia??

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Yes, It's most likely from Somalia. This was a transitional period where both the DBDU and DCUs were being worn as evidenced this photo of Army soldiers in Somalia from an article on desert patches I wrote a few years back. Note that several are wearing the distinctive UN caps and berets.

23728702015_75e77211aa_c.jpg

Great stuff all around...

Love the desert Berlin Brigade patch... UN chocolate chip

Thanks Dave, the Berlin Brigade desert patches are very hard to come by. I've only seen a handful over the years.

Well collected USAF from the position of availability...condition and size

I like L/XL sizes.

The flea market I haunt usually has a lot of USAF stuff.. DCU, ABU and woodland BDU

Probably a 60/40 mix of USAF / US ARMY

Sometimes just crap, but the occasional great item turns up..

Lots of stuff stained with grease or paint, but other times there are just perfect condition stuff looking like it was issued a week before the guy retired

The DCU supply there is not as great now as a couple years back..

Now ABUs and MULTICAM items are starting to take hold

They are buying bulk mixed lots of this US Military stuff and selling at prices that can't be matched up in Canada at least

Over time I have filled 3 huge hockey bags plus of US camo

It's an hour drive each way so I only go a few times each year...

Sometimes I wonder what's in the pile that I am missing when I don't go

Another USCG Port Security DCU. This one is for a Petty Officer 3rd Class assigned to Port Security Unit-305 home ported at Fort Eustis Va. Notice the Velcro name plate.

post-10825-0-35020500-1450715157.jpeg

A great find. The removable name tape suggests that could be from one of their two deployments to GITMO. There is evidence that the DCU was being worn by the USCG as well as the Navy at GITMO. Ironically I live just an hour from Ft. Eustis and have yet to find a patched 305th PSU DCU. I have patched uniforms for several other PSUs, but this one eludes me.

Another USCG Port Security DCU. This one is for a Petty Officer 3rd Class assigned to Port Security Unit-305 home ported at Fort Eustis Va. Notice the Velcro name plate.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Kevin thank you for the comments.

I had thought that it could be a Gitmo jacket, and I have some US Navy Gitmo jackets with the same Velcro name plates. I see they (PSU-305) have made a few Gitmo deployments so it is a very real possibility that this is a Gitmo jacket. This one was found in Burlington NC.

I am in Tidewater myself, and have been unable to find one locally!!!

Chris

Chris, We will have a chapter in our upcoming desert uniform and insignia book dedicated to the Coast Guard. We received a lot of support from collectors as well as current and former USCG members in sourcing uniforms, patches and photos for this chapter. I had no idea of the contributions the Coast Guard made to Desert Storm as well as OIF, (they were even in Afghanistan for OEF) until I'd researched the chapter. As we discussed, they also wore the DCUs in GITMO as well as in Haiti during the earthquake relief effort. Kevin

I had thought that it could be a Gitmo jacket, and I have some US Navy Gitmo jackets with the same Velcro name plates. I see they (PSU-305) have made a few Gitmo deployments so it is a very real possibility that this is a Gitmo jacket. This one was found in Burlington NC.

Chris

Chris

I've only found one locally myself Chris and mine has velcro in place of the name tape too. I think I found mine in Virginia Beach.

Nice tops guys.

Rob

Here are a few of mine, several of which will be featured in the Coast Guard chapter of the upcoming Desert uniform and insignia book. PaulR was also kind enough to allow me to use images of several of his Coast Guard DCUs including his rare 3-Star USCG admiral DCU.

15086446480_6b64a4111a_o.jpg

Rob,

Great to hear for you!! I know you have some really good stuff!! Would love to see some of them on this forum!!

Kevin,

Great looking USCG tops.

Chris

Rob,

Great to hear for you!! I know you have some really good stuff!! Would love to see some of them on this forum!!

Kevin,

Great looking USCG tops.

Chris

Thanks Chris. There wasn't much left around here to pick up once you got the DCU bug. I have trouble posting pics on here so I've given up.

Best,

Rob

aussie digger

Some really great DCUs here! Figure its about time to start adding some.

Here is one of my favorites, nothing too glamorous just a neat DCU to a small local unit.

I believe this probably belonged to a member of the 224th Combat Engineer Battalion (Iowa Army National Guard) during there Jan-Dec 2005 deployment to Ramadi Iraq. Numerous photos online show this patch combination with IR squares worn by this unit and their attatched medics.

Section of the wikipedia page Ramadi under U.S. Military Occupation.

"The 224th Combat Engineer Battalion (Iowa Army National Guard) served as the Divisional Engineer Battalion, conducting route clearance operations in support of first the 1st Marine Division from January - March 2005, and then to the 2nd Marine Division from March - December 2005"

post-51559-0-29550000-1451416401.jpg