Show Your DCUs

Sbas

My personal DCU shirt from OEF in 2005-2006. The pockets were switched at the Afghan run sewing shop at FOB Orgun-E, the theater made 173rd patch was purchased and seen on at a seeming shop at Salerno.

post-159963-14416303721052.jpg

I also posted this in the modified jackets thread.

post-159963-14416304284142.jpg

Interesting modified DCU jacket that was never worn- it still has the factory bar code tag on it. These were clearly modified for issue by some unit, and ranks sewn on, but never worn.

Anyone know what unit it could have been? I got 4 or 5 identical ones in a lot.

How about a totally unissued night desert parka? I have cases of these in small and medium, and liners. I just took this one out of the factory bundle, as well as the liner, and put them together.

post-159963-14416314309724.jpg

The parka label- note that the contract number is marked out. Selma Apparel declared bankruptcy in 1987 and these jackets were sold at the liquidation- and it was a requirement that the contract numbers by marked out on anything not delivered to the government. This is in fact still a requirement and why you see overruns and factory irregulars with contract numbers and/or manufacturers marked out.

The owner of Selma Apparel ended up getting 2 years in jail for bid rigging and bribery.

post-159963-14416318386352.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1441630427.187256.jpg

Interesting modified DCU jacket that was never worn- it still has the factory bar code tag on it. These were clearly modified for issue by some unit, and ranks sewn on, but never worn.

Anyone know what unit it could have been? I got 4 or 5 identical ones in a lot.

Nice uniforms including your own! As for the modified, I've seen a few like that where the guys had them modified, and then never used them. I'm not sure if it was a change of policy on use or if they never got around to using them. With you having 5 exactly the same, maybe the guy was slotted to deploy but was pulled last minute?

Great thread! Here's my random story for the day. This is a jacket that landed right in front of me yesterday. I was walking down the sidewalk after having lunch and came across a little street fair thing. I saw the Harley dealer set up down at the end so I figured I'd walk down and see what there was. A local sporting goods store had a pile of stuff for sale and this jacket was sitting there for only $20! It's a small- long so it's a little small for me since I usually take medium-long, but still for the price I couldn't leave it there. The liner is missing but all the buttons, snaps and zippers are there and functional. It has a pencil mark on the tag but it seems like it's brand new.

post-158728-0-14142500-1441910738.jpg

post-158728-0-07542600-1441910739.jpg

Nice uniforms including your own! As for the modified, I've seen a few like that where the guys had them modified, and then never used them. I'm not sure if it was a change of policy on use or if they never got around to using them. With you having 5 exactly the same, maybe the guy was slotted to deploy but was pulled last minute?

Interesting question about who modified it. I have a modified DCU and know the vet who wore it. He told me he never had it modified, that was they way it was issued to him. He was issued it in 2003. My question is whether the unit modified them or was there a change order to the specs and they were manufactured like this.

How about a totally unissued night desert parka?

Those were the sh!t in Desert Storm. Everyone wanted one, even tho they didn't work worth a crap for camo.

I just found mine in the attic a few days ago.

I thought I added this one to this thread, but apparently I forgot to!! Here is a 29th CIB DCU. Really like this one a lot!! No name tape or American flag. Theater made right side 29th patch.

post-10825-0-19879600-1442157655.jpg

Just picked up this set in San Diego. Both the helmet and top are named to an Abernethy. The top has been modified with the lower pockets removed and placed on the sleeves. Unfortunately there's no SSI or other info. The DCU is dated 1999 and the helmet is dated 2004.

post-6201-0-90759100-1442191223.jpgpost-6201-0-27111400-1442191233.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hink, are those ACU subdued patches on the Cauley uniform?

No, they are plain Jane BDU green and black. I think the LtCol was in Desert Storm.

Chris

Could be his XVIII Corps right sleeve patch was from DS. The uniform itself looks like an early Iraq war uniform circa late 2003 or 2004 (IIRC the US Flag wasn't mandated until late in 2003.)

Lots of units deployed without Desert-subdued patches and went with the green-subdued BDU patches instead. In fact, my unit did that when we deployed to Kuwait in 2004. It wasn't until we had been in theater for a couple of months that we finally got desert subdued patches. We were then expected to take our uniforms down to the sewing shop and have our green patches swapped out for tan ones.

Could be his XVIII Corps right sleeve patch was from DS. The uniform itself looks like an early Iraq war uniform circa late 2003 or 2004 (IIRC the US Flag wasn't mandated until late in 2003.)

Most likely, although XVIII Abn Corps elements did participate in Op Just Cause in 1989, but I don't think any FA units did. The 212th FA Brigade, which is the current assignment SSI, particpated in both Desert Storm and in OIF I supporting 3d ACR. However, since the 3-Color DCU's saw only very limited use in DS, it's almost certainly from OIF I.

The use of the US flag isn't really a good indicator. Flags were worn during DS as well. In fact, that's when the backwards flag was introduced.

Most likely, although XVIII Abn Corps elements did participate in Op Just Cause in 1989, but I don't think any FA units did. The 212th FA Brigade, which is the current assignment SSI, particpated in both Desert Storm and in OIF I supporting 3d ACR. However, since the 3-Color DCU's saw only very limited use in DS, it's almost certainly from OIF I.

The use of the US flag isn't really a good indicator. Flags were worn during DS as well. In fact, that's when the backwards flag was introduced.

This DCU has a contract date of 1997, and here is a picture of his complete name. Sorry about the original picture and the incomplete name. I have looked him up and it appears he earned his right side SSI in Desert Storm.

post-10825-0-35301600-1443038731.jpg

That's true but up until 2003 the flag was worn in-theater only. We wore the flags on our BDUs in Hungary, Croatia and Bosnia in 1997-98 but were always instructed to remove them before returning to CONUS as they were unauthorized anywhere outside the operational theater.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that removing the flag was one of the things that we were required to do before even getting on the plane to fly back to CONUS.