Show Your DCUs

Sbas

I heard somewhere (not sure how true, or if it applied then) that if the soldier saw combat they allowed them to wear the patches with the Big Red One, as opposed to subdued, and this soldier has the FWSSSI, so he would be allowed if what I'm saying has any truth. Again, just a rumor

During BDU/DCU Days: In garrison BRO units forward deployed (Germany or Iraq) wore the Big Red One Patch (1 or two if authorized). CONUS based units (Fort Riley) wore the Black One Patch. If you were in another unit with BRO Combat Patch you had to wear a Black one, the Red one was only authorized by 1ID commander in Germany.

ACU Days: in 2006 or 7 1ID asked the Army for permission to wear the Red One Patch for historical reasons. The Army denied the request. As such the BRO patch is only authorized by the 1ID commander for specific reasons ie: Change of Commands, Redeployment Ceremonies, Reenlistments etc. It is never authorized in combat or in the field. However, each Soldier in the Division has to have access to red one patches at all times should the need arise. Hope that helps.

During BDU/DCU Days: In garrison BRO units forward deployed (Germany or Iraq) wore the Big Red One Patch (1 or two if authorized). CONUS based units (Fort Riley) wore the Black One Patch. If you were in another unit with BRO Combat Patch you had to wear a Black one, the Red one was only authorized by 1ID commander in Germany.

Not so much. While this may have been "how it was supposed to be", the reality is very different. Just look at pictures from the 278th ACR's (Tennessee National Guard) deployment to Iraq from 2004-2005. You'll see those guys wearing all kinds of 1st ID combat patches. Regulation desert subdued, tan with red "1", OD green with red "1", etc. I have a 278th ACR uniform that was worn during this deployment, and along with the theatre-made Combat Action Badge, it sports a theatre-made OD green with red "1" 1st ID combat patch. I can guarantee 100% that this is how the uniform was worn by the vet. There is also ample photographic evidence to prove my point.

There's a great online photo album of the 278th's 04-05 deployment, and this particular picture in that album is a good example of the 1st ID combat patch in use:

https://picasaweb.google.com/112858771817419179195/Iraq1#5364700521867231986

Not so much. While this may have been "how it was supposed to be", the reality is very different. Just look at pictures from the 278th ACR's (Tennessee National Guard) deployment to Iraq from 2004-2005. You'll see those guys wearing all kinds of 1st ID combat patches. Regulation desert subdued, tan with red "1", OD green with red "1", etc. I have a 278th ACR uniform that was worn during this deployment, and along with the theatre-made Combat Action Badge, it sports a theatre-made OD green with red "1" 1st ID combat patch. I can guarantee 100% that this is how the uniform was worn by the vet. There is also ample photographic evidence to prove my point.

There's a great online photo album of the 278th's 04-05 deployment, and this particular picture in that album is a good example of the 1st ID combat patch in use:

Soldiers will do as they wish sometimes, and get away with it. With BRO it is a huge source of unit pride to be the BRO instead of the big black one (subdued). For me while I was in Iraq I bought a completely nasty looking 25th ID patch to use as my combat patch (acu). I was told multiple times that I should get a different patch because of how it looked, but how better would I express a deployment than to have a theater made patch? Needless to say, it stayed on my uniform even post deployment.

Since patches are on Velcro these days its easy to swap them out on a whim, so I would imagine some of the rules get bent one way or another. When I was in we still had to have them sewn on (I'm don't ever remember anybody sewing their own patches on, although I suppose some of the married troops might have had a sewing machine at home and done their own or had their wives do it.) There were sewing shops all over the place at every installation where I was stationed, wonder if they are still there? I used to take my uniforms to the Korean tailor shop just off post on Yadkin Road when I was stationed at Bragg from 92 - 96.

ACU Days: in 2006 or 7 1ID asked the Army for permission to wear the Red One Patch for historical reasons. The Army denied the request. As such the BRO patch is only authorized by the 1ID commander for specific reasons ie: Change of Commands, Redeployment Ceremonies, Reenlistments etc. It is never authorized in combat or in the field. However, each Soldier in the Division has to have access to red one patches at all times should the need arise. Hope that helps.

Thanks!

Sorry, reread my post and wasn't clear..... I meant that if you earned a BRO combat patch and then later returned to garrison CONUS or PCS'd to another unit, then you had to wear the Black one. The variety of patch types worn by 278 ACR are most likely due to the fact that they were a separate BCT attached to 1ID. Once authorized the BRO, Soldiers most likely procured them from various sources to have them sew on. (They could also wear 278 ACR FWSSI if they wanted. Organic 1ID Units wore the BDU Style BRO patch on both Shoulders for that deployment. SMs were issued these patches by the unit to have sewn on. I've had several Soldiers from that deployment tell me what a significant emotional event it was to return to Riley and take of the Red Ones in 2005 since they were no longer "Expeditionary."

I hear ya now. I was just trying to provide some additional info, so that other collectors are aware that a non-1st ID uniform can be entirely "correct" with the green/red 1st ID FWTS patch.

Soldiers will do as they wish sometimes, and get away with it. With BRO it is a huge source of unit pride to be the BRO instead of the big black one (subdued). For me while I was in Iraq I bought a completely nasty looking 25th ID patch to use as my combat patch (acu). I was told multiple times that I should get a different patch because of how it looked, but how better would I express a deployment than to have a theater made patch? Needless to say, it stayed on my uniform even post deployment.

I have a horrible basket weave 4th ID patch i bought from an afghan sew shop when deployed along with a army material command patch that i wore when in country. They look awful but sure are cool to have.

Never heard of JCSE. From the lightning bolts I'd guess Joint Communications Support Element? Possibly an affiliate of JSOC or USSOCOM? That would explain the Airborne tab, at least.

• 2 months later...

JCSE - Joint Communications Support Element.

The 3rd CCGP at Tinker had Combat Challenge one year and these guys were invited. Very professional bunch.

In one event, they have to do the PT run (1.5 miles). They said when they were finished and other squadrons were running, some JCSE guys were running with them, motivating the slower guys to push a bit faster.

Huge props to a group that would actively help their competition during an event.

I picked up this DCU with theater made 82nd Airborne patch on the right sleeve. I THINK the jump wings may be theater made as well. Whatever the case, I "Certain"ly couldn't pass it up. :D

11166117_10152785714106129_1774681381_n.jpg

11116181_10152785712691129_1201093121_n.jpg

11146032_10152785712826129_1337283311_n (1).jpg

11146156_10152785713396129_2084772500_n.jpg

PriorityOne

Some great DCUs Chaseusa11b, that navy 82nd is awsome.

I love the look of that 82nd patch nkomo, those jump wings look theater to me as well.