USMC Foot Locker/Box

pchepurko

I picked up this interesting box this past weekend. I could not resist since it was a USMC box. It is marked to a LtCol Sperry S-1 820. The S-1 is operation at battalion level, if I remember correctly. I am completely lost on the meaning of the 820 as it does not conform to any USMC unit identifications that I am aware of. Does any one have any ideas of the 820. There is a shipping lable on the side for the SS Indenpendence of the American Export Lines, sailing date 16 July 1957. Any help is apprecaited. Also any idea how I could get information on a LtCol Sperry.

post-2651-1213841268.jpg

The '820' in a white diamond is a unit tactical marking which was assigned to and painted on all organizational property & equipment. I THINK this is the mark for the 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd MarDiv, FMF, Camp Lejeune, NC in 1957. I made a Med Cruise with them in 1957 and I 'recall' this mark, I THINK! Since the Regimental S-1 is usually a LtCol this could be LtCol Sperry's billet. Hope this gives you a start.

Semper Fi.......Bobgee

I did find some information in the 1943 USMC officer's register that lists a James Walter Sperry. He was born in 1918 and was promoted to the temporary grade of Captain in 1943. Possibly him.

The diamond is the UNIS (Unit Numerical Identification System) mark, the horizontal diamond is for the 1st Division, the 8 is 8th Regt, the 2 is 2nd Bn, and the 0 is HQ Co. This is from the book Grunt Gear.

• 9 months later...
sperry granddaughter

I am the granddaughter of LtCol James Sperry. We found this post when we were doing a geneological search for my new son. My family and I have been trying to locate this footlocker and its contents since the passing away of my grandfather and its inadvertant sale in Virginia. We would enjoy talking with you at any time.

Thanks

I picked up this interesting box this past weekend. I could not resist since it was a USMC box. It is marked to a LtCol Sperry S-1 820. The S-1 is operation at battalion level, if I remember correctly. I am completely lost on the meaning of the 820 as it does not conform to any USMC unit identifications that I am aware of. Does any one have any ideas of the 820. There is a shipping lable on the side for the SS Indenpendence of the American Export Lines, sailing date 16 July 1957. Any help is apprecaited. Also any idea how I could get information on a LtCol Sperry.

My family and I have been trying to locate this footlocker and its contents since...its inadvertant sale in Virginia.

That kind of thing happens quite often: one family member sells something and then sometime later other family members realize what happened. You'd be amazed at how often someone says "My aunt, uncle, brother, mother, cousin etc. did not have authority to sell that!"

I am sure that the contents of the trunk were scattered to the four winds long before this forum member bought the empty trunk, but you might want to send him a message to see if you can make arrangements to buy it from him (remember he had to pay something for it).

sperry granddaughter

We understand what you are saying and we are not looking to have him give us the trunk back, we would just like to talk to him about the possibility of purchasing it and also could give him much more information about it if he would like. Since we are new to the site, we are unsure of how to email the member as when we go on the email link, we get an error message. Thanks

That kind of thing happens quite often: one family member sells something and then sometime later other family members realize what happened. You'd be amazed at how often someone says "My aunt, uncle, brother, mother, cousin etc. did not have authority to sell that!"

I am sure that the contents of the trunk were scattered to the four winds long before this forum member bought the empty trunk, but you might want to send him a message to see if you can make arrangements to buy it from him (remember he had to pay something for it).

We understand what you are saying and we are not looking to have him give us the trunk back, we would just like to talk to him about the possibility of purchasing it and also could give him much more information about it if he would like. Since we are new to the site, we are unsure of how to email the member as when we go on the email link, we get an error message. Thanks

Try again - you have to have a few posts before that option becomes available.