3rd armored division P-38

David D

Today i went to Cabela's (a hunting and fishing store for those who don't know) and i was browsing the gun library there and this was sitting in the display case. I didn't purchase it because it isnt my area of collecting but i still thought it was a very nice piece and decided to show you guys.

-Dave

post-151093-0-93411300-1407533700.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting gun. And the holster looks quite different from the standard holster with belt loops. Was this German issue or a modified GI issue holster?

Holster is typical of what you find made locally by a german craftsman.The Germans were destitute and these holsters were often made for sale or barter.Many of the pistols taken for souvieners had no holsters or GIs wanted shoulder rigs as it was "cool".I have owned and have several of these.One actually had a 11th Armored patch hand colored on the top area of the holster and came with a P38 as well.

Really a cool piece but as with Cabellas it seems over priced.

Last weekend I saw a P38,issue holster with capture papers for $900 and it didnt sell.THe guy would have dealt too.The markings were for a AC43,95 percent condition and it sat all weekend.

Very cool. I've been meaning to hit cabelas as its not far from me, now I see an excuse to go!

Yeah, its always good to have an excuse to go there

-Dave

I'm listening ----but not buying. I did do a double-take at the price. Thought maybe it was something to it that I had missed. Was the grip replaced? I don't think I've seen a P-38 without grooves in the grip.

Thanks for the explanation of the holster.

I once bought a P-38 from a semi-related family member who said he fired 1 clip through it. I believe it because it fired to the left and began to develop a distinctive wear patter on top of the barrel. For some reason, his P-38 was in a Luger holster. This worked great because my Dad had brought home an nice Luger in a P-38 holster which had a portion of the flap cut away so it would fit.

I sold the P-38 but kept the Luger holster.

Agree with Dave on the grips.

Could you tell if they were aluminum, plastic or wood?

Just curious as Im guessing these were cast or made for the pistol looking at how nicely the Armored insignia is done.Almost like they had made a smooth grip panel then engraved the rest.

Were both sides done the same?

I am pretty sure they were bake-lite I don't know about the other side because I was there for hunting supplies and I just saw it snapped the picture and walked over to the shotguns.

-Dave

Thanks Dave.

Pretty intresting.

Usually they have the typical ribs in them as seen on the other one in the upper corner of your picture.

First thought they were cast or molded because of the color as if they were sanded or buffed smooth the original color of brown or red would be there.The orange doesnt look like paint either from the picture.Really a odd but cool piece.

I passed on one once that the vet had nicely engraved in a gothic script his rank, name, serial number on the slide.Should have bought it.

Thanks for posting

I did look at it long enough to tell you that it definetly was not paint. It was a molded plastic with the 3rd armored patch pressed in with the letters carved in. It is a very nice peice though.

-Dave

I did look at it long enough to tell you that it definetly was not paint. It was a molded plastic with the 3rd armored patch pressed in with the letters carved in. It is a very nice peice though.

-Dave

THANKS

Makes sense as It sure looks they were molded for the refit.Saw a MP44 once that had a 7th Army patch carved in one grip panel and a Coastal Artillery emblem in the other plus the city and 1945 carved in the stock.Metal had all been nickled.

It had hung in a unit bar/club in Germany during the occupation.Then brought home.I may have a picture of it.

Oh, man....I collect 3rd Armored Division.

Now you've got me wondering what kind of hoops I'd have to jump through to get it shipped to me in Oregon.

That sounds like it would be a nightmare with all the hoops to jump through with shipping it. It is at the Cabelas in Scarborough Maine.

-Dave

Not complicated if they would agree.

Needs shipped dealer to dealer.

It is C&R, but still it has to go Fef X overnight.

All you got to do is call and see what they would do.

Price is on high side-check on number match.

It is common for P38s to develop firing marks on top of barrel.

Not good to keep a pristine model pristeen.

I agree SFMike about the price. Thanks for the other advice, too.

I already have two P-38s and I just can't justify paying this much for another.

Dang it.