US Navy Nuclear Flash Helmets DH-101A & DH-102

Bluespicker

Bluespicker

I have four of these helmets in my collection and never photographed them together. The concept on these helmets: a sensor picks up the nuclear flash and blackens the lens before the flash gets to the flyer's eyes. DH-102 light sensor appears to be wired into the aircraft while the DH-101A has the light sensor built into the helmet.

I think this system was operational in the A-7 as there are some pages about this helmetin the aircraft flight ops manual. There was a rack on the side of the canopy that held three spare lens. The use of the term "INERT" on the non-firing lenses is appropriate as these had some type of explosive device. The lens frame was fragile in that I could break while the helmet was being carried so the inert lens was used to protect the lens frame.

post-153154-0-26742400-1407466537.jpg

post-153154-0-16587800-1407466565.jpg

post-153154-0-25545300-1407467073.jpg

• 1 month later...
northcoastaero

Nice collection! I had a USN nuclear program Sierra APH-6 (early slotted single visor assy.) type helmet at one time. It had a white rubber communications cable with white nylon strap, white chin strap with white cloth pad, and white edge beading. It was modified with a dark visor

(did not have a gold coated one) and the later plastic earcups with gray ear seals and outer discs.

• 6 years later...