Is this rare? WW2 Twill 4th Air Force SSI

ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme

May be sort of weird, but I spent 30 minutes trying to find another photo online of a twill version such as this and I came up empty handed. Anyone else have one?

I've had twill ones of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th before but never a 4th.

3119737_orig.jpg

9618776_orig.jpg

Patchcollector

I'm not sure that I would use the term "rare" but the twill AAF pieces are found less often than the others.

ocsfollowme

I'm not sure that I would use the term "rare" but the twill AAF pieces are found less often than the others.

True, not rare per se, but hard to find...but not worth much. I just could not believe after going through about 60 websites and 300 images that nothing came up.

Nice one, a differant material really then twill, true twill is ribbed, this is a weave.

For those interested, seen this while searching for a similar looking cloth AF patch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-US-ARMY-7TH-AIR-FORCE-PATCH-ON-TWILL-VARIANT-/380966881443?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b36548a3#ht_614wt_1153

Not affiliated with the seller in any way :mellow: just a heads up :)

Patchcollector

As I'm looking at the patch I'm wondering,is it truly twill?Does'nt twill have long diagonal lines through it?There may be different types of "twill",but the photo I'm posting illustrates what I think twill looks like.

post-13386-0-99344000-1407466942.jpeg

As I'm looking at the patch I'm wondering,is it truly twill?Does'nt twill have long diagonal lines through it?There may be different types of "twill",but the photo I'm posting illustrates what I think twill looks like.

Thats right PC, for are purposes in this area, it's called Uniform Twill, the common cloth the Issue Khaki shirts Caps and Pants are made of, a ribbed cloth.

WorldWarPatches

There are more than one twill. Some of the different ones I've heard of are foulard, herringbone, houndstooth, sharkskin. flannel, cavalry, chino, covert, gabardine, serge and fancy. I know there are even more Twill's. The patch that started this thread is a Twill.

I have this patch on twill, felt and regular embroidered. Interesting collectible variants for sure, but I would consider them as "less common" rather than "rare". I doubt whether I paid more than the equivalent of $5 for any of them. The thing is the 4th AF was a training organization based in the CONUS. It's the combat Air Forces which tend to attract most interest and higher prices.