PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS COMBAT MEDICAL SUPPORT UNIT INSIGNIA

anton67

Hello,

First, I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

If so, moderator please move it for me.

Anyway, I have been trying like heck to ID this unit insignia.

Got it from a grouping where the soldier allegedly served in Vietnam.

I know from all the items I have that he was probably a medic.

I would really appreciate any help on this,

Thank you in advance.

post-63438-0-98953700-1407463577.jpg

The patch is for the 18th Medical Brigade, since it's in full color on a fatique shirt mean it's from the late 60s very early 70s, patch came out in October 1967. The crest? don't know, but others will.

The ASMIC Medical Distinctive Insignia catalog lists the crest two ways. One is the Kimbrough Army Hospital and the other is Medical Activity (MEDDAC) Fort Meade. I think they are alternate names for the same thing. :)

Dave

The ASMIC Medical Distinctive Insignia catalog lists the crest two ways. One is the Kimbrough Army Hospital and the other is Medical Activity (MEDDAC) Fort Meade. I think they are alternate names for the same thing. :)

Dave

Sort of correct. Most of the Army Hospitals had their own DUI-- Then in the 1970s, the base medical command expanded to include not only the hospital but veterinary services, public health, etc. This combined Medical command was called a Medical Department Activity, or MEDDAC, and since the senior medical commander on a base was usually the hospital commander (and since the hospital was the largest and "most significant" part of the MEDDAC), the MEDDACs adopted the Hospital DUI, which the hospital also continued to wear. Thus, depending on time period, it could be for the hospital alone, or for the MEDDAC.

belt - kind of cool

I don't think the belt is an official uniform item-- In 30 years in the Army Medical Department, I never saw one of these. I suspect it is a private purchase item.

Thank you all for this information.

I really appreciated it.

FYI, he also had this one for the 10th combat support hospital.

post-63438-0-28865700-1407498305.jpg

The patch is for the 18th Medical Brigade, since it's in full color on a fatique shirt mean it's from the late 60s very early 70s, patch came out in October 1967. The crest? don't know, but others will.

Does anyone know if they saw action in Vietnam?

No Vietnam service. From the web site of the current iteration of the unit, the 18th Medical Command, is this-

The 18th Medical Command (DS) began as the 18th Medical Brigade, activated on 18 August 1967 at Fort Lee, Virginia. On 16 December 1970 it was inactivated at Fort Meade, Maryland.

On 16 August 1984 the unit was redesignated as the 18th Medical Command and activated in the Republic of Korea.

On 15 October 2008, the Command was inactivated on the Korean peninsula and redesignated as the 65th Medical Brigade.

On 16 October 2008, the 18th Medical Deployment Support Command was activated on Fort Shafter, Hawaii as the Theatre Enabling Command for United States Army Pacific.

Decorations include the Meritorious Unit Commendation (Navy) for participation in Korean exercises in 1989.