WASP Discharge lapel buttons

I saw this on the Air and Space Smithsonian website. I never knew these even existed. Was this a privately made lapel button? Has anyone seen or heard of these?

Thanks....Kat

WASP discharge.JPG

Hi Kat!

That is just way too cool! I love it, probably rare as hens' teeth, but thanks to you, we all know what to lookout for!

Thank you for posting this beauty.

Joe

The Wright Museum has a fairly extensive collection of WASP items, but not one of these. We also have a documentary on the WASPs that plays on loop and none of the WASPs interviewed mention anything like it (not that they would, necessarily). They were a pretty close-knit group, so I would not be at all surprised if they had these made for themselves.

I have owned two of these.

They are killer pieces to find.

You've owned two! Man oh man!!!!! I am so beyond jealous.

If there is more than one, then does that mean it was not made privately? Or could someone have made a bunch for their friends?

...Kat

Hello Kat,

I'm no authority, but I believe these neat little incised sterling and enamel pins accompanied a personal letter of thanks signed by Jacqueline Cochran, along with a "Certificate of Honorable Service" to each qualified WASP member.

They're smaller than a dime, but nicely made by AMICO (American Military Insignia Company).

Russ

IMG_5588.JPG

IMG_5595.JPG

Hello Kat,

I'm no authority, but I believe these neat little incised sterling and enamel pins accompanied a personal letter of thanks signed by Jacqueline Cochran, along with a "Certificate of Honorable Service" to each qualified WASP member.

They're smaller than a dime, but nicely made by AMICO (American Military Insignia Company).

Russ

Russ,

Great pictures! Thank you so much for showing these great reference pictures. They really look nice. Interesting that they are made by Amico.

...Kat