Artillery Company Flag

30Mauser

Found this in an old leather briefcase with my great grandfather's initials and rank insignia on it.

Posted Image

I know that from 1928 - 1932, he was assigned to the 18th Field Artillery at Fort Riley, Kansas. Thinking this flag is from that era, although he also commanded Company D of the 24th Field Artillery Regiment, a pack mule outfit at Fort Stotsenburg in the Philippines, from 1926 to 1928.

Thoughts?

Cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_H._Brooks

Technically called a "Guidon", this one would be for Battary D, 18th Field Artillery. So it would likley be from your great grandfathers time with that unit. A very neat item, and all the better with the family connection.

-Vance

Technically called a "Guidon", this one would be for Battary D, 18th Field Artillery.  So it would likley be from your great grandfathers time with that unit.   A very neat item, and all the better with the family connection.

-Vance

Thank you for the guidance! This would be the era when my grandmother (then 9-13) had a pet goat. Every summer all the children on post were invited over for a big ice cream party to celebrate "Billy goat's birthday"

There may be a QM tag inside the sleeve with a date. Nice one! especially with the family connection!

Great tip! Now I'm REALLY confused…

Inside the sleeve, is a small tag with the name of my great-grandfather's son, "Ted Brooks, Jr".

Ted Jr. was West Point class of Jan 1943, went Army Air Corps, and became a decorated bomber pilot until his fatal crash during a training mission in August 1945 in Belgium.

Why his name is on the guidon of an artillery company is beyond me, unless it's something from his West Point years.

That guidon is phenomenal piece of family history. There's no telling how Ted Brooks Jr.'s name ended up in the guidon - my guess is something pedestrian like taking it school as "show and tell," but it's only a guess. Guidons are important for their symbolism to the unit, and become a significant souvenir for the commander and 1SG when they depart the unit, which is likely why it was part of your great-grandfather's effects.

Wiki states your grandfather started out as a cavalryman, and suggests he became an artilleryman during WW1 (in the 3d Division, with the 76th FA), with subsequent service in the 18th FA: "In October 1928, he was assigned to the 18th Field Artillery at Fort Riley, Kansas. At Fort Riley his artillery battery, a horse drawn outfit, was the first to complete a 100 mile forced march in less than 24 hours. From 1932 to 1934 Brooks attended Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, then went to Harvard University as an ROTC instructor in 1934.[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_H._Brooks) He had an interesting career, including helping to develop the M7 Priest and M8 Gun Motor Carriage, as well as commanding 2AD in Normandy.

For the record, artillerymen are proud to be assigned to a battery, not a company - a small distinction, but part of the identity.

Enjoy having this guidon!

Steve